On Mar 12 09:38, Kaz Kylheku wrote: > On 11.03.2016 22:27, Marco Atzeri wrote: > >On 12/03/2016 00:10, David Stacey wrote: > >>On 11/03/16 14:23, Girish Joglekar wrote: > >>>I have cleaned up the test example based on X-Windows/Motif which > >>>crashes > >>>on 64-bit cygwin cygwin/X but runs on the 32-bit version. The only > >>>warnings are of the type 'variable set but not used'. > >>> > >>>Here is the link to the tar file. > >>> > >>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/lknuoac64hfql4s/test.tar?dl=0 > >>> > >>>Hope you can reproduce the behavior and fix the problem. > >> > >>I tried this on Fedora 23 64-bit and it works. I had to add an empty > >>utcrcu.h file, as the code tries to #include this, and it doesn't exist > >>in the tar file. Given that it runs in 64-bit Linux, the problem is > >>unlikely to be an issue associated with porting 32-bit applications to > >>64-bit. > >> > >>Dave. > >> > >it can be a bug not triggered on linux due the difference in managing > >function arguments in the stack. > > Among a myriad other things! Undefined behaviors can have totally different > consequences even on architecturally similar systems. E.g. a malloced > buffer overrun depends on the heap structure and allocation pattern > driven by program inputs. Uninitialized memory will have different garbage > in it. And so on. > > So it works on Fedora 23 64-bit? That could be by fluke. > > How about this: does it run with zero errors under Valgrind on the same > system? > > That represents a greater confidence that "it works". > > In any case, this is a poor approach to problem solving in the > context of open source: > > "Hi, on your platform the program in my multi-megabyte archive crashes > ... somewhere in the code (I could tell you where, but I can't be bothered > to use the debugger). Please download the whole, reproduce the problem, and > debug it for me." > > This kind of burp-and-diaper changing is done in the industry only for > paying customers. Heh. Just for completeness, though, I would like to point out the FAQ I wrote back when 64 bit Cygwin was still in development: https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.programming.64bitporting There are a couple of points there which might be interesting. Additionally we have some experience with actual bugs in the code which were covered in Linux but showed up on Cygwin. A prominent example was a missing declaration of a stdargs function in OpenLDAP which led to different results on Linux (working) and Cygwin (crashing) because of a subtil difference in the ABI (6 argument registers in SysV-ABI vs. 4 register arguments in the MS-ABI. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat