On Jun 7 08:43, Bill Smith wrote: > Warren Young-2 wrote > > On May 24, 2016, at 6:43 AM, Benjamin Cao < > > > becao@ > > > > wrote: > >> > >> The executable, when run with nm in Cygwin, results in a "no symbols" > >> result, whereas it generates a symbol table in unix. > > > > That’s not what I see here. Given hello.c containing a “Hello, world!” > > program: > > > > $ make hello > > cc hello.c -o hello > > $ nm hello.exe | wc -l > > 389 > > > > If I strip the exe, I get “No symbols,” as expected. There’s no reason a > > finished executable should have much in the way of exported symbols > > without debug info, since it is self-contained. You would only expect to > > get useful output from nm on a stripped binary if it’s an object file or a > > DLL. > > Hi, I'm picking this issue up from my colleague, Ben Cao. We're using > Visual Studio C++ to compile the executables/objects. Is the issue that > Visual Studio places the information in the .pdb file? That's why nm > doesn't display any info on an *.exe ? PDB is an undocumented and potentially patent-encumbered format, that's why the binutils tools can't read or write it. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat