On Aug 25 10:46, Jeffrey Altman wrote: > On 8/25/2016 9:16 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > On Aug 25 09:04, Jeffrey Altman wrote: > >> On 8/25/2016 8:45 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >>> Since when is this RP method available? Unfortunately the above MSDN > >>> page doesn't tell... Was it already available with Vista? Does anybody > >>> know? > >> > >> #define IO_REPARSE_TAG_NFS > >> > >> was added in the Windows 8.0 DDK. > > > > Thank you. Too bad, so we have to stick to the EA method to accommodate > > Vista and W7. > > I don't believe there is any restriction from using this tag on Vista or > Win7. It will be stored on NTFS just as any other Reparse Tag would be. > NTFS and ReFS will ignore it just as they would on Win8 or Win10. Sorry, but I don't grok that. Why would I create a reparse point on NTFS with this value? This RP type would only be interesting if I can access the information for files on a non-Windows remote filesystem to indicate special file types. Granted, it *could* be used by Cygwin on NTFS to indicate Cygwin's own implementations of AF_LOCAL sockets or fifos. Or even for symlinks. But that would only introduce YA symlink type which would be unusable from non-Cygwin applications. Or am I missing something? Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat