On Aug 25 19:04, Bill Zissimopoulos wrote: > On 8/25/16, 3:45 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >...it needs thorough testing(*). There's a good chance that the NFS RP > >buffer is not exposed to user space, but instead only handled by the NFS > >driver. *If* the RP method works fine in user space, I'm inclined to do > >as outlined above and get rid of the EA stuff in symlink_info::check > >since it could be transparently shared between NFS and WinFSP. > > I agree. FYI I have not tested the use of NFS reparse points yet, although > I intend to. > > My expectation is that there should not be any issue accessing such > reparse points from user mode. My understanding of the reparse point > mechanism is that it comes into play in a couple of cases: No, me neither, but the MSDN documentation is, shall we say, limited... > - The first case is during the processing of NtCreateFile (without the > FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag set). This case doesn't matter to us. Cygwin always opens the file with FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT set... > - The second case is through direct manipulation of the reparse point > using FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT, FSCTL_SET_REPARSE_POINT and > FSCTL_DELETE_REPARSE_POINT. > > Let us consider the expected behavior of an NFS_SPECFILE_LNK reparse point > (this is speculation) during NtCreateFile: > > - On NTFS prior to Win8: > - STATUS_IO_REPARSE_TAG_NOT_HANDLED ...so this shouldn't happen to us, right? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat