Erik, The motive: http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/chapters/10.html The idea is to force yourself to use a faster escape key. Gary, the output of that command: timeoutlen=1000 ttimeoutlen=-1 I guess the final answer is the one from Randy Morris: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8488232/how-to-disable-esc-and-cursor-keys-in-vim "In conclusion, don't remap escape, I almost guarantee you will have unexpected consequences." It feels like and some other keys are a combination of other keys as Erik pointed out. I'm going to send an email to the author of vimscript to add a warning or something like that. Thanks for all the help again guys. Best, -- Felipe Martins Vieira Public PGP key: http://pgp.surfnet.nl Key Fingerprint: 9640 F192 63DA D637 6750 AC08 7BCA 19BB 0E69 E45D