On Jan 9 16:46, Erik Bray wrote: > Hi Corinna, > > Thanks for the response. > > On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > Right. It has to do with how connect/accept works on AF_LOCAL sockets. > > The handshake doesn't work well for situations like yours, where the > > same thread tries to connect and accept on the same socket. > > Actually I'm not entirely sure now that that's the issue, even > considering that this has come up before. Or at the very least, > there's an additional issue. I realized that when I tried separate > client/server processes, in the server I had put an accept() call at > the end so it would block there. With the server waiting to accept a > connection it succeeded. However, when I replaced the accept() with a > long sleep(), the client's connect() never returns. That's because connect infinitely waits for the accept to reply the second half of the handshake. > IIUC the handshake can't succeed until and unless the server accepts a > connection from the client. This is exactly the underlying problem. And interesting enough, even though the handshake is in Cygwin since 2001, we never had a problem with this until Christian started porting postfix in 2014! > I almost wonder if the server side in this case > shouldn't start up a thread to accept the af_local handshake, but you > would know better. No, I don't. We discussed this issue briefly back in 2014, but as you can see we don't have a solution for this border case yet. Starting a thread may or may not work, but there are a couple of use-cases to keep in mind (which I can't reproduce off the top of my head). The old postfix cygwin-apps thread from 2014 might give you some idea. > > This has been found a problem in porting postfix already and at the time > > we added a patch to circumvent the problem. Before calling connect, add > > this: > > > > setsockopt (sock_server, SOL_SOCKET, SO_PEERCRED, NULL, 0); > > setsockopt (sock_client, SOL_SOCKET, SO_PEERCRED, NULL, 0); > > > > This is, of course, a hack. The problem here is that server and client > > of a socket are independent of each other, and there's typically no > > way to know which process created the server side unless you already > > are connected. Chicken/egg. > > I tried it and it worked, both in the single process and separate > process examples. I see now--this sets > fhandler_socket::no_getpeerid=true, so it doesn't have to do the > handshake at all. Right. A better solution for the problem would be nice. Ultimately we want to check if the other side of the socket is actually a Cygwin process which knows the secret, not a stray native Windows process which accidentally hopped on the bandwagon, and we want to exchange the credentials so a subsequent SO_PEERCRED call returns correct values. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat