On Jan 12 16:54, Michael Enright wrote: > On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Corinna Vinschen > wrote: > > Step 3: > > > > If we did it really intelligent, maybe we finally also have a method > > to implement descriptor passing. Finally. After all these years. > > > > And maybe, we should not actually use the socket itself to exchange > > the information but rather create some kind of side-channle for that. > > > > Especially in terms of step 3, I'm mulling over this for years now > > and always something else got in the way and had to be done first. > > > > > > I made a program that needed to pass windows HANDLEs between processes > and so that receiving process could access the shared memory > represented by the HANDLEs. I was emulating facilities many programs > implement using send_msg, but I was using Windows (named?) pipes. It > felt a lot like what you need for send_msg, and it required newer > Windows APIs. So by doing the crazy thing of completely rewriting your > AF_UNIX sockets you could "easily" add descriptor passing. /me spilled her coffee reading the word "easily". I'm aware that named pipes have a facility to switch the user context, which helps to handle the descriptor duplication. I thought about this, too, but it's really a lot of work since it doesn't fit well into the current fhandler layout. I'm not generally opposed to split off AF_LOCAL sockets from the generic socket fhandler and rewrite it completely, but it took a long time getting sockets to behave mostly POSIXy and I fear we introduce a completely new set of POSIX incompatibilies which take another long time to iron out. That's why I suggested to use an additional named pipe per AF_LOCAL socket as a side-channel. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat