On Jan 31 16:01, Houder wrote: > On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:16:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > [snip] > > > > I'm not quite sure yet but apparently the problem is in the handling of > > > VERASE in the termios implementation. In cooked mode it fills a char > > > buffer with what has been typed. The code doesn't know if the bytes in > > > the buffer are UTF-8 chars or just random bytes. So VERASE erases > > > exactly one byte, which means, in case of UTF-8 chars it only erases the > > > last byte of of a mulitbyte character. > > >=20 > > > It seems the Linux termios implementation is different in that it > > > still knows which bytes constitute a single keypress and thus knows > > > how much byte it has to erase. > > > > Ok, here's what happens on Linux: The termios code support a flag > > IUTF8. This flag determines if the termios code checks for UTF8 > > characters in the input when performing an ERASE. It checks if the > > IUTF8 flag is set and if so, it checks in a loop if the just erased byte > > is a UTF-8 continuation character. If so, it erases another byte. > > (Thank you for responding -- and your effort thus far). > > Agreed. One byte or more, depending on the "character" ... (which is > not a problem in case of UTF-8 encoding -- continuation bit). > > Of course, the terminal driver must receive the characters encoded in > UTF-8. > > Therefore the question is: 'can the same situation be created under > under Windows?' (does Windows provide the required support?) This has nothing to do with Windows. It's the termios implementation inside Cygwin. I created a patch introducing the IUTF8 flag as on Linux as well as a code snippet trying to remove entire utf-8 characters from the input if the IUTF8 flag is set. And it's set now by default since we default to UTF-8 anyway. Thomas, you may want to check for the IUTF8 flag in upcoming mintty versions and unset it if character set configured in the mintty options dialog is != UTF-8. I uploaded new developer snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ with this patch. I'm also going to release a Cygwin test version later today. HTH, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat