On Feb 11 15:01, Steven Penny wrote: > On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:06:17, "Eric Blake (cygwin)" wrote: > > I made a tweak that no longer automatically strips carriage returns from > > input on binary mounts > > This is great, but can we do it for Awk too? > > $ printf 'hello world\r\n' | awk 1 | od -tcx1 > 0000000 h e l l o w o r l d \n > 68 65 6c 6c 6f 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 0a > > Currently you have to make this awful incantation: > > $ unset POSIXLY_CORRECT > $ printf 'hello world\r\n' | awk -vBINMODE=1 1 | od -tcx1 > 0000000 h e l l o w o r l d \r \n > 68 65 6c 6c 6f 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 0d 0a > > BINMODE only gets parsed on the command line; it is not recognized even in the > BEGIN section. This makes it impossible to write portable Awk scripts with > respect to carriage returns. I understand the desire but it's s a pretty tricky problem. awk is used to manipulate text input in the first place so it treats all input, files as well as stdin, as text. So, shall we drop this behaviour for files only? Or for stdin as well? How many existing setups are bound to fail after a change? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat