On Feb 12 18:38, Thomas Wolff wrote: > Am 12.02.2017 um 12:23 schrieb Corinna Vinschen: > > On Feb 7 14:35, Roger Qiu wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > > > I've found that `cygpath --windows '../` will give back an absolute windows > > > path. > > > > > > I thought this would only happen if you provide the `--absolute` flag, or > > > when the path is a special cygwin path. > > > > > > But this occurs just for normal directories. > > > > > > I have come across a situation where I need to convert ntfs symlinks to unix > > > symlinks and back. Sometimes these symlinks have relative paths them. Now by > > > using cygpath --windows, I get back absolute paths, which means the > > > integrity of the symlink isn't preserved. > > > > > > Can `cygpath --windows '../directory'` give back `..\directory` for paths > > > aren't special cygwin paths? These relative backslashes are supported in > > > Windows right now. > > Not easily. All paths are evaluated as absolute paths inside Cygwin. > > The result of the path conversion is always an absolute path. A relative > > path is generated from there by checking if the path prefix in POSIX > > notation is identical to the current working directory. If not, the > > path stays absolute. Naturally, if you use a "..", the resulting path > > does not match the CWD anymore, so you're out. > How about converting getcwd(), too, and comparing that? Converting to what? And how's that different from what I describe above? Btw., did you see https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-01/msg00404.html? Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat