On Jul 17 11:44, Harry G McGavran Jr wrote: > I just had to deal with the output from chkdsk on my Windows 7 pro > that lists MFT record numbers just like ifind and icat do > in the Sleuth Kit as summarized in: > > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-11/msg00172.html > > The chkdsk MFT record numbers are exactly what ifind and icat > display/use. I also discovered when doing "ls -i" on NTFS > file systems mounted on my Ubuntu 16.04 linux system that > the "ls -i" numbers reported are the same as the chkdsk, ifind, and icat > record numbers. These are all the lower 32 bits of the 64 bit > numbers reported by "ls -i" with the current cygwin. Had > the cygwin "find -inum" and "ls -i" used these 32 bit numbers, > my task would have been easier. From the above link, Corinna > found it odd that ifind and icat would use the 32 bit numbers. > I would have preferred them when dealing with chkdsk issues. > > What's the current thinking about this? The descriptions I found describes the NTFS FileID as a combination of the 16 bit sequence number with the 48 bit file record number(*). Stripping off 16 bits sequence number would be ok, but stripping the upper 16 bit from a 48 bit record number sounds bad. OTOH, the maximum number of files on an NTFS volume is restricted to the number of clusters, which is 2^32-1. If it's *safe* to assume that the record number corresponds with the cluster number, ok, but I'm not sure this is the case. I never use really big filesystems with Windows. This would need testing. But then there's another problem. The 64 bit file ID can also be used to open a file by ID. Stripping the upper 32 bit from the value disallows to use the file ID in that way. Corinna (*) http://digitalresidue.blogspot.de/2016/02/getting-started-with-sleuth-kit-pt-3.html -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat