On Jul 24 02:09, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote: > > But that's just scanning a decimal integer to time_t. > > It's not a question of whether I can or can't convert a string into an > integer, rather it's a question about portability of code that uses %s I see your point but... "portability" is kind of the wrong expression here. If you have portability in mind, you should *not* use %s at all. %s is a GNU extension and as such, is not portable by definition. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat