On Feb 5 12:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Feb 5 02:29, Mark Geisert wrote: > > Using Cygwin's bindresvport() is the best solution because Cygwin keeps > > track of the last port number it has allocated *to any Cygwin program*. > > This is the only approach that can deal with multiple programs and multiple > > calls in one program. So we need to nail down why it doesn't seem to work > > for you. > > Apart from all the above, there may still be a problem in the given scenario. > > To reiterate the problem we observe: > > - socket() > - setsockopt (SO_REUSEADDR) > - bind() succeeds > - connect() fails with EADDRINUSE while socket is still in TIME_WAIT > > using bindresvport in place of bind only marginally changes the > situation, in particular if the second parameter is set and requests a > port number != 0. What happens in that case is that bindresvport calls > bind with this port number and checks if bind returns EADDRINUSE. > > Only then it tries to bind other port numbers in the reserved range. > But we now know that bind will never return EADDINUSE if the SO_REUSEADDR > socket option has been set. > > Even assuming the process calls bindresvport(sock, NULL) we may end up > returning a port number already in use if the process is the only Cygwin > process on the system. The reason is that Cygwin uses a round robin > approach which relies on having a globally shared value called > last_used_bindresvport. If the process is the only Cygwin process on > the system, this information is lost after exiting the process, so the > next process will start with the same start port number and bind will > again fail to notice the client with EADDRINUSE. > > What potential solutions to this problem do we have? > > - bindresvport could enforce SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE temporarily to make > sure bind fails. Nope, no way. Even enforcing SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE results in the second bind succeeding and the subsequent connect failing. The entire SO_REUSEADDR/SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE semantics only works as desired on the server side apparently > - bindresvport could check every local address for being free prior > to calling bind. However, there's a potential race here. > > - DisconnectEx? Never tried this Winsock extension but it might be > worth a shot. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat