On Dec 19 17:43, Andrey Repin wrote: > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen! > > > On Dec 19 08:29, Eliot Moss wrote: > >> On 12/19/2018 7:10 AM, Andrey Repin wrote: > >> > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen! > >> > > >> > > Bottom line is, if you want to handle DOS attributes in a special way > >> > > not covered by our POSIX emulation, user space has to do it. > >> > > >> > Can something be implemented around getfattr to serve this use case in a more > >> > POSIX'y way? > >> > >> I was not previously much aware of get/setfattr, but I agree that that looks > >> like a possible way to provide access to the Windows SYS attribute and friends. > >> Not that I am that familiar with details of what NTFS, etc., provide, getfattr > >> may be a way to provide access to additional attributes / facts about files > >> (paths, generally) as well. Sounds like it would not be too hard to support > >> access to the basic attributes this way. > >> > >> I suspect the general response will be PTC, though! :-) > > > Not only that. attr is an upstream package, so you would have to > > convince the upstream maintainers to take your patches, ideally. > > > attr is for handling of extended attributes, quite different from > > DOS attributes. I doubt that DOS attribs fit in there. > > Well, well. We do have a living example of Samba (ab)using xattr to support > Windows ACL on *NIX. What are you trying to imply? That we should fake an user.DOSATTRIB EA, just like Samba? Not sure I like the idea since that would have to be added to each and every file on the fly. You won't see the Samba EA from Windows, though. > I deduce from your response, that a DOS attributes use case would be on > different side of the table, though. It's something different. It's not an EA thingy on Windows but rather a filesystem property. So sth. like the vfat IOCTL makes more sense, if any. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer