On Mar 10 03:48, L A Walsh wrote: > > > On 3/8/2019 4:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > On Mar 7 19:35, L A Walsh wrote: > >> I ran tar on another directory and got a huge number** > >> of these: > >> tar: rules: Warning: Cannot acl_to_text: Invalid argument > >> tar: adblockplus: Warning: Cannot acl_to_text: Invalid argument > >> tar: autopager: Warning: Cannot acl_to_text: Invalid argument > >> tar: bookmarkbackups: Warning: Cannot acl_to_text: Invalid argument > >> --- > > Can you please provide the cacls or icacls command creating > > a directory that allows to reproduce the issue? > > I doubt that area of my disk has ever been manipulated by > cacls or icacls. That's in my roaming profile. Sorry to be blunt, but the circumstances don't matter. If you want Cygwin (and thus: tar) to behave better, I need a reproducer. For that I must be able to create a DACL which looks like yours so I see the same "Invalid argument" message. So, again, please provide the cacls or icacls command creating a directory that allows to reproduce the issue. If that's not possible, you will have to debug this yourself, ideally by running tar under GDB and setting a breakpoint to Cygwin's acl_to_text function to find out what it chokes on. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer