On Mar 12 18:39, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Mar 12 18:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > On Mar 12 10:00, jwang wrote: > > > Sir, > > > > Nope. > > > > > I download, this morning: > > > 3132 -rw-r--r-- 1 james None 3207004 Mar 12 10:50 cygwin-20190312.tar.xz > > > > > > tar -xvf cygwin-20190312.tar.xz > > > > Where to? You have to install cygwin1.dll in place of the other > > cygwin1.dll while having stopped all Cygwin processes. Just unpacking > > with tar won't do anything useful. > > > > > then I did: > > > > > > usr/bin/ps -W|grep httpd > > > > This is really not helpful as far as bug reports go. Drop the > > grep, drop the -W. Just call `ps -e' or `procps -e' or `top' > > and see what's visible. Do you see all CYgwin processes? If so, fine. > > If not, please report details. Just don't expect top's load average > > values to make any sense if you're running under a non-privileged > > user account. They will be always 0. > > Btw., `ps -W' only shows non-Cygwin processes visible inside the > current user session. This session isolation has been introduced with > Windows 2003 and since Vista even the console interactive session is > running in its own session distinct from session 0. > > Task Manager doesn't suffer this problem, but it's not clear to me why. > Perhaps it connects to a broker service which gives task manager access > to all processes. This was complete nonsense. Actually, the problem was entirely in Cygwin's ps.exe, and it's a long-standing problem at that. While the Cygwin DLL collected the complete process list for ps, ps then didn't print any process it failed to call OpenProcess on. These are a *lot* of processes and the result looked a lot like the list of processes in or connected to the current session. The reason for this behaviour was that the image path of a process could only be fetched when opening the process. Today I found new functionality since Vista which allows to fetch the image path without having to open the process, so `ps -W' will print all processes again, just as in the good old XP times :} Please try the latest snapshot from https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ Make sure to use ps.exe from that snapshot since this time the ps executable is affected, not the Cygwin DLL itself. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer