On Mar 12 17:09, David Dombrowsky wrote: > I managed to solve this problem, but I'd love some confirmation that I > solved it the right way. > > After updating cygwin and rebooting, all of a sudden I couldn't ssh > into my windows box. The remote gave the usual "connection closed by > port 22" before anything happened. Running in debug mode from > an admin shell didn't yield anything, but looking in the windows > application logs, I saw: > > sshd: PID 2588: fatal: seteuid 1056480: No such device or address > > The google suggested that the error was pty related, but it was not. > > By accident, I noticed that I could log in from an account that I > hadn't set up public key auth, using my password. So I forced ssh to > prompt for my password and viola! I got in just fine. > > On the server, I started another admin shell and did `passwd -R > my.username` and input my password. That was the key. I can now log > in using public key auth as I could a few hours ago. > > Was that the correct solution? Is that expected? This windows box is > on a domain, so that might have something to do with it. Just switch the account sshd is running under from "cyg_server" to SYSTEM (or "LocalSystem") and you should be able to logon without the passwd -R method again. This is a side effect of changing how Cygwin switches the user context by default. See https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd1 HTH, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer