On Mar 13 09:11, Bill Stewart wrote: > On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:57 AM Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > > > a) Why is it necessary to specify SYSTEM as user number 0 in the > > > /etc/password file? > > > > > > b) Why is the sshd account required? > > > > sshd checks for uid 0 and requires the sshd account when chroot is > > requested. > > > > > c) Why are /cygdrive and /dev directories visible when connecting using > a > > > sftp client? > > > > The Cygwin chroot implementation is pure fake. It's not backed by the > > OS and it's failry easy to break out of the jail. As such, the chroot > > implementation is deprecated and only kept for backward compatibility. > > I suggest not to use it. It gives a wrong sense of security. > > Right: I totally understand that Cygwin's chroot implementation does not > add any security (because chroot doesn't exist natively on Windows). > > However: It's still the case that the user cannot bypass OS security even > if he or she "escapes" from the jail, right? > > My goal is to restrict sftp browsing on the client side. > > Using ChrootDirectory with "ForceCommand internal-sftp" in sshd_config > seems to accomplish this. > > Is this not correct? It seems like it, but I wouldn't bet on it. The fact that /cygdrive and /dev directories are still visible inside the chroot jail speaks against that. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer