On Aug 15 09:41, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin wrote: > > git format-patch output with commit message, please? > > Please educate me how to do that; I am just using "git diff --no-color". $ git add $ git commit -a - opens editor to create a commit message. first line is summary, second line stays empty, descriptive text follows in line 3+. $ git format-patch -1 - creates a git patch file which can be attached to your email or just send *as* email with `git send-email --to= Starting with git has a bit steep learning curve, but it's totally worth it. There's a great free online book available: https://git-scm.com/book/ > > The commit message should describe what the problem is and how the patch fixes it. One or > > two sentences are enough. > > The commit message is there: > > > > "getpriority() consistent with process priority > > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-08/msg00122.html" Well, that's just a quote from a former email. I would never have recognized it as a commit message. A commit message should consist of the one-line summary (in our case starting with the text "Cygwin: " to distinguish the change from generic newlib changes), followed by an empty line, followed by a descriptive text, what problem this patch fixes and how. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you send patches, but it's tricky to create a meaningful commit message if you're not the author of a patch. It's also pretty time-consuming since you have to care for correct authorship and stuff. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer