On Aug 27 14:37, Brian Inglis wrote: > On 2019-08-27 11:54, Achim Gratz wrote: > > Corinna Vinschen writes: > >> mkdir(2) has some special code from 2009 which drops trailing > >> {back}slashes to perform a bordercase in mkdir Linux-compatible. > >> This code snippet doesn't exist in rmdir(2). > > > > While we're discussing oddities, creating symbolic links in the virtual > > /dev directory still works and those links show up in the real > > (underlying) Windows directory as well. This is why the Bash > > postinstall still works and I'm not sure if it should do that the way > > it's written. > > https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices > lists the process devs, "udevs", and NT mappings, and specifies that the /dev > directory is real to allow symlinks like cdrom/dvdrw -> sr0/scd0 and > gps0/pps0/gpspps0 -> ttyS0. > > I notice /dev/kmsg documented but no longer appears, but /dev/log[=] exists if > syslog-ng is running; and /dev/pipe and /dev/fifo are mentioned but don't exist. Some of this is old cruft. But hey, documentation fixes are just as welcome as code fixes ;) Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer