On Oct 23 11:17, Maayan Apelboim wrote: > > Is "UK" the name of the local machine or the name of your domain? > > How does your /etc/nsswitch.conf file look like? > > Do you still have /etc/passwd and /etc/group files? If so, does removing the files change the above behaviour? If so, can you attach both files verbatim to your reply? > > > Thanks, > Corinna > > -- > Corinna Vinschen > Cygwin Maintainer > > > ---------------------------- > Hi, > > UK is my domain. > I'm not using passwd and group files after being advised in the past not to. > My /etc/nsswitch.conf is default. Didn't make any changes to this file. Since I can't reproduce this problem, would you mind trying to run getent under strace? It would be helpful to get 2 strace outputs for the same account, one working, one failing. Call it like this: $ strace -o getent-1.trace getent passwd Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer