Hi Ulli, On Dec 12 13:00, Ulli Horlacher wrote: > I need to store some data (a few kB) non-persistant. > On a real UNIX I would use /var/run, because after a shutdown all its > content is lost. > But on cygwin /var/run is stored on disk. > > I cannot use an environment variable, because different processes need to > read/write the data. > > /proc is non-persistant (in respect to a reboot), but It is not a generic > storage place. > > What can I use with cygwin instead? > > Installing third party software is not an option, it must work with a > standard Windows (and cygwin). Cygwin is just a user space DLL, it's not an OS. Creating RAM disk-like storage is the job of the OS or an OS driver. Unfortunately, there's no onboard RAM disk driver in Windows, just zillions of third-party solutions. I see two options: - Use XSI shared memory, as outlined in this thread already, or - If you have the executables under source control, you can use an O_TMPFILE on /dev/shm, and fork the worker process from there, i.e. fd = open ("/dev/shm", O_TMPFILE | O_RDWR, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR); if (fd >= 0) { write (fd, your_key, strlen (your_key)); switch (fork ()) { case 0: /* child */ /* Use fd as you see fit */ break; case -1: /* error */ default: /* parent */ close (fd); wait (&status); break; } } Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer