On Mar 3 00:54, Hashim Aziz wrote: > Hey Corinna, thanks for your quick reply. > > Regarding the elevated shell - I'm unsure of exactly how to run an > elevated Cygwin shell? Right click on the Cygwin Terminal icon on the desktop, choose the item "Run as administrator". > I have attached the requested strace file. Here's what I see for all partitions in the trace output: 460 21259 [main] cat 553 format_proc_partitions: DeviceIoControl (Harddisk0\Partition0, IOCTL_DISK_GET_PARTITION_INFO{_EX}) Win32 error 5 Win32 error 5 is ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. So it appears that the OS access is denied for some reason. I tried again on Windows 7, this time with a non-admin account, just to be sure, but I still can see the partition info. Yesterday I tried with an admin account, just not in an elevated shell, so this may have been an important difference. Apparently not so. I have no idea why your system has different permissions, but at least you should be able to see the info in an elevated shell. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer