From: Phill Ramsden <phill@rally-stuff.co.uk>
To: Jeffrey Walton via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: How to check cygwin version?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 16:58:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 09:36:47AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton via Cygwin wrote:
> I think the documentation leaves a lot to be desired... I'm trying to
> tell someone what version of Cygwin I am using.
>
> There's a FAQ item at
> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.what.version. It gives this
> useless advice:
>
>    To find the version of the Cygwin DLL installed, you can use uname
>    as on Linux or cygcheck. Refer to each command's --help output and
>    the Cygwin User's Guide for more information.
>
> OK, let's try it:
>
> $ cygcheck -v
> Usage: cygcheck [-v] [-h] PROGRAM
>        cygcheck -c [-d] [PACKAGE]
>        cygcheck -s [-r] [-v] [-h]
>        cygcheck -k
>
> OK, -v is what we need:

I note that you removed the bit that you actually wanted.

v is NOT the same as V, you are in a case sensitive context.

> $ cygcheck -v cygwin
> cygcheck: could not find 'cygwin'
>
> OK, another failure.
>
> RTFM does not work. Why the hell don't you just state how to check the
> god damn version?

If you had read the manual, you would have seen it says what I have said, and your ire and attitude are unnecessary, albeit understandable.

Always be nice first, you will find people (and we are just people) are just trying to do their best, mistakes will be rectified and attitude will usually get you ignored, you have been lucky this time.

Phill