* bash from local mounted drive with subst command
@ 2022-02-20 21:38 Claude TETE
From: Claude TETE @ 2022-02-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

A bash in a local mounted drive, use realpath instead of mounted one
for all child processes.

Example, mount a local folder on Z: drive, go in there and run any
external command:
$ subst Z: C:\\Users
$ cd /cygdrive/z/
$ /bin/pwd
/cygdrive/c/Users

Expected
/cygdrive/w

Issue since Cygwin 3.3 and also with latest snapshot (2022-02-17
11:55:32) after reading this:
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-December/250153.html
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2021q4/011583.html

Sincerely,

--
Claude TETE
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape

* Re: bash from local mounted drive with subst command
@ 2022-09-19 20:40 David Meyer
From: David Meyer @ 2022-09-19 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

We're running into this same issue on my project.  We're trying to
shorten path names to get around Visual Studio limitations in path
lengths, which are unfortunately very long for us since we're
generating filenames based on package names and the like.

If subst won't work to let us shorten path names, is there any other
solution?  We'd really like something that behaves like bind mounts
rather than symlinks.

Thanks.