If I do man man in a Windows’ console, I get garbage on screen before I press -r Contrary to man man this cannot be overwritten by setting set MANPAGER=less -sr . (However, this may be overwritten by setting set PAGER=less -sr ) In my particular setup, it would be enough if the bug with MANPAGER is fixed. However, it seems that setting the default man’s pager to less -sr should be a much better solution. Hope this helps, Ilya P.S. It seems that the mailing list does not allow attaching the output! So I retry with a shortened version…