* Newline missing in csh
@ 2015-11-16 17:44 Gluszczak, Glenn
From: Gluszczak, Glenn @ 2015-11-16 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage" works fine in bash
but if I switch to csh I fail to get a newline when reading the registry.

$ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
ENU^@
$ csh
$ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
ENU^@$

* Re: Newline missing in csh
@ 2015-11-16 19:59 ` John Hein
From: John Hein @ 2015-11-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gluszczak, Glenn wrote at 17:43 +0000 on Nov 16, 2015:
 > cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage" works fine in bash
 > but if I switch to csh I fail to get a newline when reading the registry.
 >
 > $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
 > ENU^@
 > $ csh
 > $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
 > ENU^@$

In bash, 'set PS1=x' and try again.  Looks like it's just a side
effect of your prompt settings.

It's not that bash is working "fine", but that your bash prompt is
adding a newline that's not part of the data in the file you're
reading.  And your expectation that the added newline makes it the
correct behavior is flawed.

* Re: Newline missing in csh
@ 2015-11-17  1:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-11-17  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gluszczak, Glenn, cygwin

Greetings, Gluszczak, Glenn!

> cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control
> Panel/International/sLanguage" works fine in bash
> but if I switch to csh I fail to get a newline when reading the registry.

> $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
> ENU^@
> $ csh
> $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
> ENU^@$

cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage" | od -t x1

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Newline missing in csh
@ 2015-11-17  8:48   ` Robert Klemme
From: Robert Klemme @ 2015-11-17  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Greetings, Gluszczak, Glenn!
>
> > cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control
> > Panel/International/sLanguage" works fine in bash
> > but if I switch to csh I fail to get a newline when reading the registry.
>
> > $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
> > ENU^@
> > $ csh
> > $ cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage"
> > ENU^@$
>
> cat -v "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/sLanguage" | od -t x1

I'd rather do this to get the real contents (and not have cat -v add something):

od -t x1c "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control
Panel/International/sLanguage"

Kind regards

robert

--
[guy, jim, charlie].each {|him| remember.him do |as, often| as.you_can
- without end}