* another new setup
@ 2000-09-07 17:33 DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

By Brian Keener:

	* dialog to let you choose *if* desktop/start menu shortcuts
          are created.

	* Fix bug with Win 9x shortcuts going in C:\

By Andrej Borsenkow:

	* Dialog to let user specify local directory for package
          downloads.

By Jeffrey Juliano:

	* Don't crash if you click on "No packages to install"

By DJ Delorie:

	* Don't double up package list if you "back" from the chooser.

	* Remove "1.1" version designation from shortcuts.

	* Ability to detect setup upgrades via setup.ini (once
          setup.ini is auto-generated, not yet).

Reminder to those interested in getting involved, the README in
setup's sources (src/winsup/cinstall) has the latest to-do list, which
I've copied here for your convenience.  Contact me if you want to work
on something, so I can coordinate who is working on what.

To-Do list:

ini.cc: add field in setup.ini to specify whether package is installed
by default, or not.

install.cc: scan newly installed files for README files, show list to
user, let them read them if they want.

Make the site listbox bigger.

download.cc: add a "total progress" indicator, like the install one.

add a "category" field to setup.ini, let user choose which categories
of packages to install, perhaps with a "custom..." button to lead to
the current chooser.

remember which packages were selected to be skipped, and which prev/curr/exp
option was last selected, and recall them each time the chooser runs.

Add friendly error reporting to simpsock.cc

Add option to download sources also.

* Re: another new setup
@ 2000-09-09 12:23 ` Jeffrey Juliano
From: Jeffrey Juliano @ 2000-09-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

fodder for the todo list:

Someone familiar with win32 UI programming can probably fix this in a few
seconds, after scanning chooser.cc and res.rc.

The chooser, for me, currently appears *under* any other window on my win9x
desktop.  Since it's not in the task bar, the only way for me to see it is
to minimize all other (bigger) windows first.  I had 4 simultaneous
instances of setup running at the same time before I finally realized this.

Note: setup cannot connect to source.redhat.com right now, so I cannot
currently verify my claims.

(I think I remember a discussion about this kind of stuff on the developers
list about 2 months ago.)

-jeff

* Re: another new setup
@ 2000-09-11 17:08 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-09-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ,

We may have a problem with the new setup.  I just downloaded the new as
opposed to rebuilding from my sources and it told me I had 3 modules that
needed updating.  These were libpng, make and zlib.  When I tried to tell
it to download it would only download make and then when I would try to
run again it would tell me that the other two still needed doing but it
would not download them.  I tried this on three different ftp sites and
the same results.  I finally looked at the setup.ini for
ftp.sunsite.utk.edu and the it shows libpng and zlib as being in contrib
and make in latest and this was the only thing I saw that might be a
factor.  I have not had a chance to look at the code yet, but thought I
would mention it in case no-one else has as yet.

* Re: another new setup
@ 2000-09-11 21:09 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-09-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Actually what appears to have happened is this.  I found the downloads
for libpng and zlib in the contrib directory and removed them as well as
the one in latest for make.  I then reran setup for the download to the
current directory.  All three of the above were shown with their most
recent version number (all greater than my current version).  I then
downloaded all three, which setup successfully accomplished and then went
and checked their download site.  Libpng and zlib had been downloaded to
contrib and make to latest.  I then went and tried to run setup (I have
not installed these 3 downloads as yet) and setup again showed me these 3
updates but make showed as keep and libpng and zlib both showed the most
recent release (which I had just downloaded and were in contrib) and when
I selected next then setup advised download complete.   I think something
is slightly crossed in the checks for install and download as far as
contrib vs latest but as I said, I haven't had a chance to check it out.

* Re: another new setup
@ 2000-09-11 17:37 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.collins; +Cc: bkeener, cygwin

> If you look closely I think you'll find that the version number show
> as your current is the same as the most recent release. I think the
> new setup shows packages with multiple versions available so you can
> downgrade if you want.

It's a minor bug (well, misfeature) in setup.  If there are multiple
options on the ftp site, it shows you those packages in the partial
listing (that's the full/part button).  However, I need to teach it
that if all the other options are "lesser" (i.e. a [prev]) than the
current install, then they don't cause it to show up on the short
list.

* RE: another new setup
@ 2000-09-11 17:13 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2000-09-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkeener, cygwin

Did the libpnz and zlib show "keep" , a version number, or uninstall? if
they showed a version number, was it greater or less than the one on
your system?

If you look closely I think you'll find that the version number show as
your current is the same as the most recent release. I think the new
setup shows packages with multiple versions available so you can
downgrade if you want.

Rob