* SSH Setup Issue
@ 2009-01-16  4:34 Syphon
From: Syphon @ 2009-01-16  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I cant seem to get sshd service to start on my Windows Vista box.
I tried a few different things, I turned off UAC, I ran bash as Admin.
Also, 'chown system:system /var/empty /etc/ssh_*' , 'chmod 755 /etc'.

Still when I run 'ssh-host-config', I seem to be missing a few prompts

$ ssh-host-config
Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
Generating /etc/ssh_config file
Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/README.
.
Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
Generating /etc/sshd_config file

Host configuration finished. Have fun!

And 'net start sshd'

$ net start sshd
The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

Any suggestions ? I attached my cygcheck output.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21491713/cygcheck.txt cygcheck.txt

* Re: SSH Setup Issue
@ 2009-01-16 16:20 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Syphon wrote:
> I cant seem to get sshd service to start on my Windows Vista box.
> I tried a few different things, I turned off UAC, I ran bash as Admin.
> Also, 'chown system:system /var/empty /etc/ssh_*' , 'chmod 755 /etc'.
Why did you do that?  'ssh-host-config' will handle all this for you and
do it correctly.  What you have above won't work for Vista.

> Still when I run 'ssh-host-config', I seem to be missing a few prompts
>
> $ ssh-host-config
> Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
> Generating /etc/ssh_config file
> Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
> Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
> However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
> For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/README.
> .
> Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
> Generating /etc/sshd_config file
>
> Host configuration finished. Have fun!
>
> And 'net start sshd'
>
> $ net start sshd
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
>
> The service did not report an error.
>
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>
> Any suggestions ? I attached my cygcheck output.

Other than the above, which I think is at least a large part of your
problem, you can take a look at '/var/log/sshd.log'.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: SSH Setup Issue
@ 2009-01-16 16:41   ` Syphon
From: Syphon @ 2009-01-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Had the issue before I did all of the above, I know all this is already
performed by ssh-host-config, So does this mean ssh-host-config is not
working properly ?

Took a look at '/var/log/sshd.log'.

'/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.'

So, 'chown SYSTEM empty'

Kris@Kris-PC /var
$ chown SYSTEM empty

Kris@Kris-PC /var

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> Syphon wrote:
>> I cant seem to get sshd service to start on my Windows Vista box.
>> I tried a few different things, I turned off UAC, I ran bash as Admin.
>> Also, 'chown system:system /var/empty /etc/ssh_*' , 'chmod 755 /etc'.
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Why did you do that?  'ssh-host-config' will handle all this for you and
> do it correctly.  What you have above won't work for Vista.
>
>> Still when I run 'ssh-host-config', I seem to be missing a few prompts
>>
>> $ ssh-host-config
>> Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
>> Generating /etc/ssh_config file
>> Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
>> Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
>> However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
>> For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/README.
>> .
>> Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
>> Generating /etc/sshd_config file
>>
>> Host configuration finished. Have fun!
>>
>> And 'net start sshd'
>>
>> $ net start sshd
>> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
>> The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
>>
>> The service did not report an error.
>>
>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>>
>> Any suggestions ? I attached my cygcheck output.
>
> Other than the above, which I think is at least a large part of your
> problem, you can take a look at '/var/log/sshd.log'.
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: SSH Setup Issue
@ 2009-01-16 16:46     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Syphon wrote:
> Had the issue before I did all of the above, I know all this is already
> performed by ssh-host-config, So does this mean ssh-host-config is not
> working properly ?

For you, perhaps.

> Took a look at '/var/log/sshd.log'.
>
> '/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.'
>
> So, 'chown SYSTEM empty'

SYSTEM does not have the proper permissions on Vista for 'sshd' to
run properly.  If 'ssh-host-config' did it's job correctly, it set
up a new user for this.  Look for 'sshd_server'.  If you have this,
then that's the user you want to use above and in all places where
you used 'SYSTEM'.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: SSH Setup Issue
@ 2009-01-16 18:37       ` Syphon
From: Syphon @ 2009-01-16 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you, It did create a new user 'sshd_server'. All is good now.