* bash
@ 2009-02-14 15:02 przytula_guy
From: przytula_guy @ 2009-02-14 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just installed latest version of cygwin on windows/xp on new machine
copied an existing profile from another machine but with problems
set -o vi : the -i option is not accepted
whenever changing PS1, the cursor is positioned to the left and over writing
the prompt
although from command line all commands are accepted : set -o vi no problem
same for PS1
any idea about this ?
Thanks for all help/update
Regards, Guy przytula

* Re: bash
@ 2009-02-14 18:46 ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2009-02-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-02-14, przytula_guy wrote:
> I just installed latest version of cygwin on windows/xp on new machine
> copied an existing profile from another machine but with problems
> set -o vi : the -i option is not accepted
> whenever changing PS1, the cursor is positioned to the left and over writing
> the prompt
> although from command line all commands are accepted : set -o vi no problem
> same for PS1
> any idea about this ?

I think your "profile" (~/.profile?) has DOS line endings.  Execute
d2u on that file and see if that fixes the problem.

HTH,
Gary

* Re: bash
@ 2009-02-15 10:41   ` przytula_guy
From: przytula_guy @ 2009-02-15 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

thanks for the update
yes, this corrected the problem
best regards, guy przytula

* Re: Bash
       [not found] <980608.33079.qm@web33201.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
@ 2007-08-22 19:53 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-08-22 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jam One, cygwin

Please keep replies on list; redirected.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE

Please don't top-post on lists; reformatted.
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

According to Jam One on 8/22/2007 8:25 AM:
> there
> the

> Follow the directions, and attach the output of
> 'cygcheck -svr' as a text
> attachment, so we can see why your installation
> appears to be broken.
> Also, try rerunning setup.exe, and make sure it
> picks up everything you
> need.  Bash should be an automatic part of the base
> install.

> Dear Eric,
>
> Thanks for your reply, when I went to download the
> cygwin, I checked in the bin directory on the
> easynet.be site, and there was no bash as a part of
> the install. You can check this to verify yourself.

Why are you directly downloading from the mirror?  The point of setup.exe
is to do the downloading for you, so that you don't directly have to grab
stuff from the mirrors and risk messing up the installation yourself.

> I am also attaching the output of 'cygcheck -svr' on
> my computer.

Your attachment was not given a text MIME format, making it harder to read.

>         C:\WINDOWS\system32

Not necessarily a bug, but you are inviting problems by putting . ahead of
normal directories.  It is wiser to put . last, if you want it in your PATH.

>         \C:\WINDOWS\system32

Hmm, that PATH entry looks suspicious.  Maybe it is the cause of your
problems.

> Cygwin Package Information
> Last downloaded files to: I:\Downloads\cygwin_downloads
> Last downloaded files from: ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin

Looks like you have a normal download...

> bash                     3.2.15-13

with bash already installed.  Therefore, I don't know that I follow your
complaint about bash not being available.

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net

* Re: Bash
@ 2007-08-22  4:40 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-08-22  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, jamone_95134

* Re: Bash
@ 2007-08-22  2:00 ` Erich Dollansky
From: Erich Dollansky @ 2007-08-22  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Jam One wrote:
> I have downloaded the recent copy of cygwin and there
> is no "bash.exe" in the cygwin/bin directory, yet the
> cygwin.bat file points to the bash command.

you have to install bash after installing cygwin.

Erich

* Bash
@ 2007-08-22  1:39 Jam One
From: Jam One @ 2007-08-22  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have downloaded the recent copy of cygwin and there
is no "bash.exe" in the cygwin/bin directory, yet the
cygwin.bat file points to the bash command.

I have been using cygwin for many years now and this
is the first time I have encountered this problem. If
bash is no longer supplied with cygwin, which shell
should we use?

In my cygwin/bin directory there is no csh.exe, only a
csh.exe.lnk, which goes to nowhere.

I try to run "sh.exe" and I get the following: "The
application has failed to start because
cygreadline6.dll was not found."

What is your recommendation?

Cheers

* Re: bash
@ 2005-10-10 12:27 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-10-10 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shi Mu; +Cc: cygwin

* Re: bash
@ 2005-10-10  5:27     ` Kern
From: Kern @ 2005-10-10  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Maybe there is sth wrong with your reg

2005/10/10, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>:
> René Berber wrote:
>
> > Look into cygwin.bat, it assumes that you installed Cywgin in drive C: and
> > directory \cygwin .  If that is not the case it will not work.
>
> setup.exe creates cygwin.bat, and fills it in with the selected paths.
> It doesn't matter where cygwin is installed.
>
> The OP should try running cygwin.bat from a command prompt and look for
> errors.  Most likely it's one of those "home directory with a space in
> it" type of problems.
>
> Brian
>
> --

* Re: bash
@ 2005-10-10  0:22   ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-10-10  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-10-09 23:35 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2005-10-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Shi Mu wrote:

> I installed CYGWIN and after double clicking the shortcut icon
> (linking to cygwin.bat),
> the window appears for one second and immediately disappeared. I
> checked the package I downloaed and found bash is installed.
> How to solve the problem?

Look into cygwin.bat, it assumes that you installed Cywgin in drive C: and
directory \cygwin .  If that is not the case it will not work.

HTH
--
René Berber

* bash