* File permissions different inside and outside cygwin root
@ 2015-05-21 13:05 DeTracey, Brendan
From: DeTracey, Brendan @ 2015-05-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is the normal Cygwin behaviour to assign different file permissions outside of the Cygwin root directory?
e.g.
$ touch /home/detraceyb/testfile
$ ll /home/detraceyb/testfile
-rw-r--r-- 1 detraceyb Domain Users 0 May 21 09:20 /home/detraceyb/testfile
$ getfacl /home/detraceyb/testfile
# file: /home/detraceyb/testfile
# owner: detraceyb
# group: Domain Users
user::rw-
group::r--
other:r--

$ touch /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
$ ll /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
-rw-rwxr--+ 1 detraceyb Domain Users 0 May 21 09:23 /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile*
$ getfacl /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
# file: /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
# owner: detraceyb
# group: Domain Users
user::rw-
group::r--
group:root:rwx
group:Authenticated Users:rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:r--

* Re: File permissions different inside and outside cygwin root
@ 2015-05-24 16:30 Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2015-05-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(Sorry I cannot reply directly to the previous email I just subscribed to the list, I am quoting from the list archive)

>> (from the archive - permissions inside and outside of /cygwin get messed up)

I think this is *THE* cause of my problems.

My question is how do I turn this of 100% totally - and completely?

How it is effecting me:

In my case, I *OFTEN* edit source code using ‘emacs-w32’ under cygwin.

and often refer to files via  a filename like this /cygdrive/c/some/path/foo.c

Sadly what happens in the end is, the ACL gets set to the point where I cannot edit source files.

Another common example is this:

Step 1:  On Linux  - create a “tar.gz” of a source directory.

	tar cfz  foo.tar.gz  somedirectory

(In my case, it is an open source package that *must* build under both cygwin and linux)
I need to move the code back and forth - to make sure my changes don’t break things

Step 2:  Pull that tar file over to Cygwin (I use cygwin64)

Step 3: Unpack the tar.gz file using CYGWIN

	tar xfz foo.bar.tz

Step 4:
	I specifically use “emacs-w32” - to edit the source code.
	It seems that *randomly* the ACL gets totally bunkered

	Maybe there is a method to this madness, but I can’t figure out the exact sequence

I am *NOT* building or doing this under  any Cygwin mount
I should not need to, and I should not be required to

I specifically use:  /cygdrive/c/some/path/

**NOTE**

   This does not *require* the ‘tar-copy’ method
   Using CYGWIN - I “git clone” some repository and edit the files in the standard way
   It seems to be more predominant when I copy via TAR across systems.

Result:
	I can no longer edit my source code.
	I would end up having to “right click” permissions and fix things using windows tools

       It seems the ACLs are totally messed up

Bottom line, my expected behavior

	I should be able to use a simple editor - i.e.: Emacs-w32
	I should be able to edit a source code file
	When I save the source code file - the permissions *before* and *after* should be identical

	They are not, permissions are totally messed up.

	What ever I am seeing, it is fundamentally broken.

-Duane.