* assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-04 16:45 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I know, this won't be a real Cygwin question, well, anyway...
As I got quite used to Cygwin and Linux I began assimilating the cmd
console's look and feel towards Unix style (name completion, 'ls,la,ll'
instead of 'dir..' etc.).
Unfortunately, there's still one big, annoying MS-feature: one must
enter 'exit' in order to terminate the cmd console.
Well, I mapped a doskey macro to it, so 'Q-Enter' will also do, but I'm
accustomed to the shortcut 'Ctrl-D' (without 'Enter') and would like to
use this in conjunction with the cmd console as well.
Does anyone know whether this could be done in Windows XP?
I surmise, I once did a tweak ten years ago dealing with Windows 3.1 -
one could 'abuse' a system variable named WINPRMT to map the 'Esc' key
value ('Ctrl-P-Esc') to the 'exit >nul' command, so hitting Escape closed
the Dos console, it required ANSI.SYS to be loaded.
Any new suggestions for Windows XP?

Best wishes,

Svartsjel

* Re: assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-07 16:37 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nigels; +Cc: cygwin

Nigel Steward wrote:
> Time to get used to left-button copy,
> middle-button paste. Once you get a
> grip on the that, you've been officially
> assimilated! :-)
>
> Put this line in your cygwin.bat...
>
> rxvt -sl 1000 -rv -geometry 120x30 +sr -e bash -i

Hi Nigel!

Well, this has nothing to do with the actual question I posted,
neither rxvt nor bash are the point:
I'm seeking a possibility to enhance the cmd.exe in order to allow
closing/exiting it via simple Ctrl+D - not more, and not less.
Any other ideas perhaps?

Regards,

@ 2003-02-07 20:44 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-07 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shankar; +Cc: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:
> As long as you don't mind hitting <CR> after the ^D, this seems to
> work:
>
>    c:\> doskey ^D=exit
>
> Now, if you hit ^D<cr>  (the <cr> is unfortunately required), CMD.EXE
> will exit.
Yes, this seems to work... and there should still be a trick for adding the
missing <cr> key code to the line, maybe a bit like:
doskey ^D="exit >nul | x"
[ x representing the <cr> key code ]
I guess a different, i.e. enhanced doskey replacement could allow this?
Or better: an additional program which emulates key codes?
Unfortunately I don't know any...
The only way in the past of getting <cr> to work properly for keyboard
macros was ANSI.SYS. Any other suggestions?

Greetings,

Svartsjel