* HEADSUP: OpenSSH 6.7 drops tcpwrapper support
@ 2014-08-18 11:53 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

Just a HEADSUP to all of you actively using the tcp_wrappers/libwrap
functionality in sshd:

Starting with the next OpenSSH version 6.7, which will be released soon,
upstream removed support for tcp_wrappers/libwrap from the sources.

While that's bad from a compatibility point of view, the upstream
developers are adamant about this change for security reasons.

So, if you configured /etc/hosts.allow and/or /etc/hosts.deny files in
your Cygwin installation to block certain connections to your sshd
service, you will have to find other means to do that ASAP:

- Utilize the sshd_config Match rule.

- Utilize your firewall.

Hope that helps,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: HEADSUP: OpenSSH 6.7 drops tcpwrapper support
@ 2014-08-19 18:23 ` D. Boland
From: D. Boland @ 2014-08-19 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna,

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just a HEADSUP to all of you actively using the tcp_wrappers/libwrap
> functionality in sshd:
>
> Starting with the next OpenSSH version 6.7, which will be released soon,
> upstream removed support for tcp_wrappers/libwrap from the sources.
>
> While that's bad from a compatibility point of view, the upstream
> developers are adamant about this change for security reasons.

Can you point me to any documentation about this?

Daniel

* Re: HEADSUP: OpenSSH 6.7 drops tcpwrapper support
@ 2014-08-19 19:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-08-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> Starting with the next OpenSSH version 6.7, which will be released soon,
> upstream removed support for tcp_wrappers/libwrap from the sources.

> While that's bad from a compatibility point of view, the upstream
> developers are adamant about this change for security reasons.

> So, if you configured /etc/hosts.allow and/or /etc/hosts.deny files in
> your Cygwin installation to block certain connections to your sshd
> service, you will have to find other means to do that ASAP:

> - Utilize the sshd_config Match rule.

> - Utilize your firewall.

Am I correct that this will only affect SSHD access control mechanics?
Not the socket redirection?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: HEADSUP: OpenSSH 6.7 drops tcpwrapper support
@ 2014-08-19 19:10   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-19 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin