* Re: RemoteServerAdministrationTools problem
@ 2014-06-04 14:32 John Bianchi
From: John Bianchi @ 2014-06-04 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Aside from this set of Windows tools, can you reproduce the same behavior
> with some more commonly available and more compact utility?

I had two system exhibiting this symptom. Wish there was an official way to
install an older cygwin, like 1.7.27 or .26.  No other commands are behaving
differently that I am aware of.

I did reinstall win7 ent on my second system, installed RSAT and cygwin and
dsquery works again.  Not sure what I did in both systems to create this
problem.  I though it was Proxy32 for proxywinconsole.exe which let me go
interactive from a cygwin shell to powershell for my powershell wrapper (see
https://bitbucket.org/jbianchi/powershell) but I only installed that on my
main system.  I'll rebuild and continue to install all the utils to see what
breaks it again.

The RSAT tools give command line access to AD and lets me script so much.  I'm
blown away by how a windows admin will work so inefficiently using the Active
Directory User and Computers GUI tool.  Batch scripting is terrible and the
windows console is worse.  And don't start me on Powershell! Powershell has a
crappy console, no history retention ... how can they be valid
shells/consoles? You just dont develop ps1 scripts to call ps1 scripts to
build more powerfull utils in powershell like you do in unix.  Cygwin with
RXVT gives me a complete enough unix shell with a great console (cut and paste
anyone?).  I can script mixing powershell, dos batch and cygwin I can make
windows managable.

* Re: RemoteServerAdministrationTools problem
@ 2014-06-03 16:36 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-06-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/03/2014 12:50 AM, John Bianchi wrote:
>> On 06/02/2014 07:09 PM, John Bianchi wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I can get output in cygwin from this call but cannot pass args to this
>>> command:
>>> ==================================================================
>>> $ dsquery user
>>> "CN=...."
>>> .... <snip>
>>> "CN=...."
>>> ==================================================================
>>> lists CNs but not all of them in lower OU's, you will need to call
> dsquery
>>> w/args for that.
>>
>> Sounds a bit like <https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00334.html>
>> to me.  Take a look at the entire thread and the reference to the original
>> patch that began this journey.
>>
>> --
>> Larry
>>

> I've tried Cygwin 64bit 1.7.30 and the commands work like they used to in 32
> bit Cygwin.
>
> Not sure if the thread you provided covers this as there is no "=" passed
> here.

OK, looking at your original message again, I misinterpreted the results.

> I also dont call cmd.exe as I call the dsquery.exe directly in a cygwin
> bash sehll.  Was there other changes made that affect this?  Reading that
> thread seems the changes are made ... no talk of reverting... so is 64 bit
> gonna get broken next?  Why isn't 64 bit the same, ie have the same problem?
> Shouldn't they be the same? Did that change not get made in the 64 bit version
> of cygwin?

OK, this is interesting.  I can't explain this offhand.

This sound a bit like the age-old problem of Windows programs not
understanding Cygwin ptys but that's nothing new and I'm not aware
of any recent changes myself that could have a bearing.  Given that
and other details you've provided, I don't believe this is the same
issue.

Aside from this set of Windows tools, can you reproduce the same behavior
with some more commonly available and more compact utility?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-06-03  4:50 John Bianchi
From: John Bianchi @ 2014-06-03  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 06/02/2014 07:09 PM, John Bianchi wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I can get output in cygwin from this call but cannot pass args to this
> > command:
> > $ dsquery user
> > "CN=...."
> > .... <snip>
> > "CN=...."
> > lists CNs but not all of them in lower OU's, you will need to call
dsquery
> > w/args for that.
>
> Sounds a bit like <https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00334.html>
> to me.  Take a look at the entire thread and the reference to the original
> patch that began this journey.
>
> --
> Larry

I've tried Cygwin 64bit 1.7.30 and the commands work like they used to in 32
bit Cygwin.

Not sure if the thread you provided covers this as there is no "=" passed
here. I also dont call cmd.exe as I call the dsquery.exe directly in a cygwin
bash sehll.  Was there other changes made that affect this?  Reading that
thread seems the changes are made ... no talk of reverting... so is 64 bit
gonna get broken next?  Why isn't 64 bit the same, ie have the same problem?
Shouldn't they be the same? Did that change not get made in the 64 bit version
of cygwin?

John

* Re: RemoteServerAdministrationTools problem
@ 2014-06-03  0:59 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-06-03  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/02/2014 07:09 PM, John Bianchi wrote:

<snip>

> I can get output in cygwin from this call but cannot pass args to this
> command:
> $ dsquery user
> "CN=...."
> .... <snip>
> "CN=...."
> lists CNs but not all of them in lower OU's, you will need to call dsquery
> w/args for that.

Sounds a bit like <https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00334.html>
to me.  Take a look at the entire thread and the reference to the original
patch that began this journey.

--
Larry

A: Yes.