* Problem with relative path containing nonexisting directory
@ 2013-03-14 12:19 Jacob Kroon
From: Jacob Kroon @ 2013-03-14 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm having problems compiling EGLIBC in Cygwin. I think the reason is
the following:

Doing "ls foobar/../" in a Cygwin terminal, where the directory
"foobar" does _not_ exist, still returns a valid file listing of the
current path.

Doing the same operation in Fedora, ls will print "No such file or directory".

Is this a bug in Cygwin ? Is there a configure option to enable the
Fedora-behaviour ?

Please CC me as I'm not a subscriber to the list.

Regards
Jacob

* Re: Problem with relative path containing nonexisting directory
@ 2013-03-14 13:48 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-03-14 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jacob Kroon

On Mar 14 13:19, Jacob Kroon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems compiling EGLIBC in Cygwin. I think the reason is
> the following:
>
> Doing "ls foobar/../" in a Cygwin terminal, where the directory
> "foobar" does _not_ exist, still returns a valid file listing of the
> current path.
>
> Doing the same operation in Fedora, ls will print "No such file or directory".
>
> Is this a bug in Cygwin ? Is there a configure option to enable the
> Fedora-behaviour ?
>
> Please CC me as I'm not a subscriber to the list.

Red Hat

* Re: Problem with relative path containing nonexisting directory
@ 2013-03-14 14:31   ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2013-03-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Jacob Kroon

> On Mar 14 13:19, Jacob Kroon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having problems compiling EGLIBC in Cygwin. I think the reason is
>> the following:
>>
>> Doing "ls foobar/../" in a Cygwin terminal, where the directory
>> "foobar" does _not_ exist, still returns a valid file listing of the
>> current path.
>>
>> Doing the same operation in Fedora, ls will print "No such file or directory".
>>
>> Is this a bug in Cygwin ? Is there a configure option to enable the
>> Fedora-behaviour ?
>>
>> Please CC me as I'm not a subscriber to the list.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-01/msg00173.html

I would add the following. If you're trying to compile EGLIBC for
Cygwin, I'm not sure if that's likely to be successful in any event. If
you're cross-compiling for some other platform, I can verify that that
works, as I've built a Cross Linux From Scratch from Cygwin.

--
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is.

* Re: Problem with relative path containing nonexisting directory
@ 2013-03-14 14:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-03-14 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon, cygwin

Greetings, Jacob Kroon!

> I'm having problems compiling EGLIBC in Cygwin. I think the reason is
> the following:

> Doing "ls foobar/../" in a Cygwin terminal, where the directory
> "foobar" does _not_ exist, still returns a valid file listing of the
> current path.

> Doing the same operation in Fedora, ls will print "No such file or directory".

> Is this a bug in Cygwin ? Is there a configure option to enable the
> Fedora-behaviour ?

This is a known issue with Cygwin path handling. Look in archives for an
in-depth explanation.

> Please CC me as I'm not a subscriber to the list.

You're supposed to subscribe, if you intend to receive replies.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...