* Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor
@ 2004-05-02  8:13 Errol Smith
From: Errol Smith @ 2004-05-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 I'm having a problem with mc's editor (4.6.0-4, also tried mc-4.6.0a-20030721 with same issue). (cygwin 1.5.9-1 on 98se)
 If you are editing a file wider than the screen, sometimes the display becomes corrupted, with odd parts of lines appearing at the left screen edge and the display seems to lose left/right alignment with mc's internal idea of where it is (so if you go to insert a character, it actually gets inserted several characters up the line from where you thought).

Test case - make a file like this:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
<tab>blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
<tab><tab>blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
.... (you get the idea - make it wider than the screen).

Then move the cursor to one of the longer lines (but not the _longest_ line), hit <END> (or cursor-right along the line) then hit the up-arrow key and see rubbish appear on the left hand side. It seems to be mostly the up-arrow key that does it, but sometimes when the screen shifts left, not all of it moves (some stays where it was, even though mc thinks it moved).

There may be a simpler way of producing the bug, but this is a reliable way I've found. Note that if you use spaces instead of tabs (or have the fill-tabs-with-spaces option on), the problem doesn't appear, so the tabs seem to be part of the cause.
Hitting page-up/page-down doesn't seem to fix it - I would have thought this would refresh the screen so it would then be in the right place, but it doesn't. Basically, once it goes funny, it stays that way and you have to close the file.
I've tried this full screen or windowed, in a normal shell or in rxvt, reinstalled mc and I also tried removing all mc related files/config and going back to default with no change. mc 4.6 on linux doesn't do it (with same test files).
Any ideas?

* Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor
@ 2004-05-02 15:01 ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2004-05-02 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Errol Smith wrote:

> I'm having a problem with mc's editor.

[...]

> Hitting page-up/page-down doesn't seem to fix it
> - I would have thought this would refresh the screen
> so it would then be in the right place, but it doesn't.
> Basically, once it goes funny, it stays that way
> and you have to close the file.

I have the same problem. However, instead of reloading the file, you can
simply hit Home to have it fixed (at least it works for me).

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor
@ 2004-05-02 21:56 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2004-05-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Errol Smith; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Errol Smith wrote:

> I'm having a problem with mc's editor (4.6.0-4, also tried
> mc-4.6.0a-20030721 with same issue). (cygwin 1.5.9-1 on 98se)
> If you are editing a file wider than the screen, sometimes
> the display becomes corrupted, with odd parts of lines
> appearing at the left screen edge and the display seems to
> lose left/right alignment with mc's internal idea of where it
> is (so if you go to insert a character, it actually gets
> inserted several characters up the line from where you
> thought).

I don't think this is Cygwin specific. I also get it (or
something similar) on Linux.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor
@ 2004-05-02 22:39   ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2004-05-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Errol Smith; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004, Errol Smith wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem with mc's editor (4.6.0-4, also tried
> > mc-4.6.0a-20030721 with same issue). (cygwin 1.5.9-1 on 98se)
> > If you are editing a file wider than the screen, sometimes
> > the display becomes corrupted, with odd parts of lines
> > appearing at the left screen edge and the display seems to
> > lose left/right alignment with mc's internal idea of where it
> > is (so if you go to insert a character, it actually gets
> > inserted several characters up the line from where you
> > thought).
>
> I don't think this is Cygwin specific. I also get it (or
> something similar) on Linux.

I confirm it also happens on Linux. Since you wrote it doesn't
for you, I suspect your binary was compiled with the internal
(the default) or an external S-Lang. The Cygwin binary is
linked against ncurses, as is my Linux binary from CVS as of
March 17 (using ncurses 20040417).

I suggest you report it to mc at gnome dot org if you can't
reproduce it on Linux with a binary compiled with ncurses.

Take in mind that ldd showing libncurses doesn't mean the
binary is using it. It may be a dependency from libgpm. Use mc
-V, which here reports "Using the ncurses library".

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Not a Cygwin problem ( Was Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor)
@ 2004-05-02 23:04     ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2004-05-02 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Errol Smith; +Cc: cygwin, Pavel Tsekov

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2 May 2004, Errol Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having a problem with mc's editor (4.6.0-4, also tried
> > > mc-4.6.0a-20030721 with same issue). (cygwin 1.5.9-1 on 98se)
> > > If you are editing a file wider than the screen, sometimes
> > > the display becomes corrupted, with odd parts of lines
> > > appearing at the left screen edge and the display seems to
> > > lose left/right alignment with mc's internal idea of where it
> > > is (so if you go to insert a character, it actually gets
> > > inserted several characters up the line from where you
> > > thought).
> >
> > I don't think this is Cygwin specific. I also get it (or
> > something similar) on Linux.
>
> I confirm it also happens on Linux. Since you wrote it doesn't
> for you, I suspect your binary was compiled with the internal
> (the default) or an external S-Lang. The Cygwin binary is
> linked against ncurses, as is my Linux binary from CVS as of
> March 17 (using ncurses 20040417).
>
> I suggest you report it to mc at gnome dot org if you can't
> reproduce it on Linux with a binary compiled with ncurses.
>
> Take in mind that ldd showing libncurses doesn't mean the
> binary is using it. It may be a dependency from libgpm. Use mc
> -V, which here reports "Using the ncurses library".

I recompiled latest CVS (there was only a header change
compared to my last binary) on Linux using
--with-screen=mcslang.

It doesn't happen anymore. So, a suggestion to Pavel Tsekov.
If a fix isn't available, recompile with the above switch.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: Not a Cygwin problem ( Was Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor)
@ 2004-05-03 13:26       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2004-05-03 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

[...]

> I recompiled latest CVS (there was only a header change
> compared to my last binary) on Linux using
> --with-screen=mcslang.
>
> It doesn't happen anymore. So, a suggestion to Pavel Tsekov.
> If a fix isn't available, recompile with the above switch.

I don't plan to switch to the slang screen library. I'd rather try to
find the source of the problem and fix it.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/dsl