* section 2 man pages
@ 2010-07-23 13:25 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2010-07-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Are section 2 man pages available?

$ man 2 write
No entry for write in section 2 of the manual
$ man write
No manual entry for write
$

I searched the online package library and perused Setup
to no avail.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: section 2 man pages
@ 2010-07-23 13:56 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2010-07-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/23/2010 07:19 AM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> Are section 2 man pages available?

Not at the moment.  Volunteers welcome to help provide them.  Meanwhile,
I find that the POSIX specification is good enough (at least, for using
interfaces portably):
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/write.html

* RE: section 2 man pages
@ 2010-07-23 20:50   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2010-07-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Eric Blake
> On 07/23/2010 07:19 AM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> > Are section 2 man pages available?
>
> Not at the moment.  Volunteers welcome to help provide them.
> Meanwhile,
> I find that the POSIX specification is good enough (at least, for using
> interfaces portably):
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/write.html

Hmm, I'd have thought they'd come downstream like so much else. Since
all this stuff is open source,  I wouldn't think that there should be
any plagiarizing issues, right?  I see,  however, that the referenced
web page is copyrighted.  So, I wonder who is responsible if a volun-
teer plagiarizes another source for Cygwin.   I'm thinking some rules
ought to be promulgated before volunteers are solicited.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: section 2 man pages
@ 2010-07-24  0:10     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-07-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:05:17PM -0500, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> From: Eric Blake
>> On 07/23/2010 07:19 AM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> > Are section 2 man pages available?
>>
>> Not at the moment.  Volunteers welcome to help provide them.
>> Meanwhile,
>> I find that the POSIX specification is good enough (at least, for using
>> interfaces portably):
>> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/write.html
>
>Hmm, I'd have thought they'd come downstream like so much else. Since
>all this stuff is open source,  I wouldn't think that there should be
>any plagiarizing issues, right?  I see,  however, that the referenced
>web page is copyrighted.  So, I wonder who is responsible if a volun-
>teer plagiarizes another source for Cygwin.   I'm thinking some rules
>ought to be promulgated before volunteers are solicited.

Cygwin's licensing should be fairly clear.  And you'd have to check with
the licensing of something like the above to see if it *can* be copied.

* Re: section 2 man pages
@ 2010-07-24  9:43       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-07-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 23 17:33, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:05:17PM -0500, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> >> From: Eric Blake
> >>
> >> Not at the moment.  Volunteers welcome to help provide them.
> >> Meanwhile,
> >> I find that the POSIX specification is good enough (at least, for using
> >> interfaces portably):
> >> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/write.html
> >
> >Hmm, I'd have thought they'd come downstream like so much else. Since
> >all this stuff is open source,  I wouldn't think that there should be
> >any plagiarizing issues, right?  I see,  however, that the referenced
> >web page is copyrighted.  So, I wonder who is responsible if a volun-
> >teer plagiarizes another source for Cygwin.   I'm thinking some rules
> >ought to be promulgated before volunteers are solicited.
>
> Cygwin's licensing should be fairly clear.  And you'd have to check with
> the licensing of something like the above to see if it *can* be copied.

The Linux man pages (http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/) would make a
good start.  They can't be used unchanged, but it's far less work to
tweak them for Cygwin than to write them from scratch.  No worries
license-wise.

Corinna

Red Hat