* Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run from Bash in XEmacs
@ 2001-05-02 10:20 Karr, David
From: Karr, David @ 2001-05-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

This is a continuation of an earlier issue.  I have a small DOS program,
compiled and linked with MS tools, which executes fine in a standalone "cmd"
window, and in a standalone Bash window, and within GNU make in either
window.  However, when the Bash shell is running in XEmacs, it fails with
"Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main", and it isn't
getting there.  I would really appreciate some help understanding what is
going on here.

I even tried printing "env" in the "good" and "bad" environments and
manually setting (or unsetting) all the variables in the "bad" environment
to match the "good" one, then rerunning it, but that didn't help.  However,
there were two variables set in the "good" environment that I didn't set in
the "bad" environment, because I didn't understand them.  They looked like
this (straight from the "env" output):

  !C:=C:\WINNT\PROFILES\david.karr\DESKTOP
  !D:=D:\cygwin\bin

What can I do to get any kind of clue of what is going on here?

* Re: Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run f rom Bash in XEmacs
@ 2001-05-02 13:03 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-05-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:22:30AM -0700, Karr, David wrote:
>This is a continuation of an earlier issue.  I have a small DOS program,
>compiled and linked with MS tools, which executes fine in a standalone "cmd"
>window, and in a standalone Bash window, and within GNU make in either
>window.  However, when the Bash shell is running in XEmacs, it fails with
>"Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main", and it isn't
>getting there.  I would really appreciate some help understanding what is
>going on here.
>
>I even tried printing "env" in the "good" and "bad" environments and
>manually setting (or unsetting) all the variables in the "bad" environment
>to match the "good" one, then rerunning it, but that didn't help.  However,
>there were two variables set in the "good" environment that I didn't set in
>the "bad" environment, because I didn't understand them.  They looked like
>this (straight from the "env" output):
>
>  !C:=C:\WINNT\PROFILES\david.karr\DESKTOP
>  !D:=D:\cygwin\bin
>
>What can I do to get any kind of clue of what is going on here?

Maybe some of the tools at www.sysinternals.com would help.  I still suspect
that you are not running the program that you think you're running.

cgf

* Re: Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run f rom Bash in XEmacs
@ 2001-05-02 13:05 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-05-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karr, David, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 01:22 PM 5/2/2001, Karr, David wrote:
>"Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main", and it isn't
>getting there.  I would really appreciate some help understanding what is
>going on here.

Just because you don't see output doesn't mean it didn't get there.  Try
writing to a file, flush it, and close it.

* Re: Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run f rom Bash in XEmacs
@ 2001-05-02 19:07   ` David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2001-05-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    Christopher> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:22:30AM -0700, Karr, David wrote:
    >> This is a continuation of an earlier issue.  I have a small DOS program,
    >> compiled and linked with MS tools, which executes fine in a standalone
    >> "cmd" window, and in a standalone Bash window, and within GNU make in
    >> either window.  However, when the Bash shell is running in XEmacs, it
    >> fails with "Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main",
    >> and it isn't getting there.  I would really appreciate some help
    >> understanding what is going on here.
    >>
    >> I even tried printing "env" in the "good" and "bad" environments and
    >> manually setting (or unsetting) all the variables in the "bad"
    >> environment to match the "good" one, then rerunning it, but that didn't
    >> help.  However, there were two variables set in the "good" environment
    >> that I didn't set in the "bad" environment, because I didn't understand
    >> them.  They looked like this (straight from the "env" output):
    >>
    >> !C:=C:\WINNT\PROFILES\david.karr\DESKTOP !D:=D:\cygwin\bin
    >>
    >> What can I do to get any kind of clue of what is going on here?

    Christopher> Maybe some of the tools at www.sysinternals.com would help.  I
    Christopher> still suspect that you are not running the program that you
    Christopher> think you're running.

I've tried specifying both a relative and absolute path to the executable.  I'm
already using "filemon" from sysinternals, and it tells me next to nothing,
except for confirming I'm getting the correct executable.

* Re: Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run f rom Bash in XEmacs
@ 2001-05-02 19:10   ` David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2001-05-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Karr, David, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

    Larry> At 01:22 PM 5/2/2001, Karr, David wrote:
    >> "Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main", and it isn't
    >> getting there.  I would really appreciate some help understanding what
    >> is going on here.

    Larry> Just because you don't see output doesn't mean it didn't get there.
    Larry> Try writing to a file, flush it, and close it.

Done.  No difference.  I verified the file writing worked in the cases where I
can run the executable.  When I get the "Permission Denied" error, the output
file isn't created.

The only barely unusual thing about this executable is that it has a function
with ASM code defined in it, although the function is never executed.  The
purpose of the application is to write out a binary file with the contents of
the function (and some other code).