* [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningful collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  3:41 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-10-26  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

Absolutelly agree with Johannes

How about to converting setup.exe in dpkg (or rpm) like program, and
setup.ini in dpkg/rpm format?

Andrey

* Re: [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningfu l collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  4:13 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-10-26  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Andrew,

2001-10-26 13:01:01, du schriebst:

> Hi all,

> Absolutelly agree with Johannes

> How about to converting setup.exe in dpkg (or rpm) like program, and
> setup.ini in dpkg/rpm format?

Others have tried to port rpm, but there is no easy way to do this.
More easy is to improve setup.exe.  This is what is done by some
freetime developers here.  The latest released setup is just two
weeks old (I guess) and I'm sure it will get better and better
from release to release.  If you can't wait, grab the source and
try to figure out what could be done.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                 http://www.convey.de/
                                                Vitalisstraße 326-328

* Re: [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningful collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  8:40 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-10-26  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Brodwall; +Cc: cygwin

Johannes Brodwall wrote:

> Hi,
> I have found that personally, the setup.exe installation is not very
> convenient.  With 80+ packages, ranging from critical (ash), to useful
> (fileutils) to unusable without external help (postgresql - requires
> cygipc), I always end up installing all the packages available for
> simplicity.  I currently have a very high-speed internet connection and a
> large hard drive, but this is not always the case.
>

> I could not find any message addressing this in the archives.

Search cygwin-developers.

The "trunk" version of setup in the CVS cygwin source repository has a
lot of what you want.  It's not quite ready for prime-time though.  Stay
tuned.

--Chuck

* Re: [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningful collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  8:38 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-10-26  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:25:30AM +0200, Johannes Brodwall wrote:
>Hi,
>I have found that personally, the setup.exe installation is not very
>convenient.  With 80+ packages, ranging from critical (ash), to useful
>(fileutils) to unusable without external help (postgresql - requires
>cygipc), I always end up installing all the packages available for
>simplicity.  I currently have a very high-speed internet connection and a
>large hard drive, but this is not always the case.
>
>What would be very useful would be to have a set of profiles to select from.
>Some examples of profiles could be "minimal installation", "development
>platform", and "full".  In addition to answering the question "will cygwin
>not work if I don't install this", it will make it more practical to select
>a partial installation, something that currently requires a lot of clicking
>around.  Is anything like this planned?
>
>The motivation for me asking this question might be somewhat interesting.
>My dad, a lawyer, wants to understand better the inner workings of
>computers.  I decided that teaching him C would be a good place to start.
>However, both his computer and connection are very low-end, so downloading
>all of cygwin is not an optimal way of getting gcc.  I really want to
>introduce the concept of open-source to him as much as possible as well,
>because I believe it is important that people working with law understand
>the issues involved better.
>
>I could not find any message addressing this in the archives.

Then you really weren't looking very hard at all since this has been discussed
repeatedly.

cgf

* RE: [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningful collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  5:19 Schaible, Jörg
From: Schaible, Jörg @ 2001-10-26  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi David,

can you change the FAQ at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC28 not to add "cygwin" as
term to the google search, but "site:cygwin.com" to narrow the search very
precisely to Cygwin only? The better the search results, the less further
questions arise ... (well, at least for all who can read and not only ask
<eg>).

Regards,
Jörg

* RE: [feature-request] Installation Tool: Create profiles as meaningful collection of packages
@ 2001-10-26  4:28 ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-10-26  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'll add something to the FAQ about this.

Regards,
David

@ 2001-10-26  2:25 Johannes Brodwall