* Re: NTFS file time
@ 1999-03-25 21:55 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-25 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre.Humblet, osterwischc, cygwin

In a message dated 3/25/99 5:02:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Pierre.Humblet@eurecom.fr writes:

> The cygnus tools (ls and
>  >cp anyway) are not consistently reading and preserving the file's
>  >modification time.  In some cases there is a discrepancy of a two
>  >seconds compared with what Win Explorer reports.
While building egcs, the time stamps occasionally are found as much as 2
seconds in the future.  This happens both on Win95 and NT4/SP3, and has been
happening at least since b19.

* Re: NTFS file time
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre.Humblet, osterwischc, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Osterwisch, cygwin

At 02:55 PM 3/25/99 -0500, Carl Osterwisch wrote:
>I encountered a strange problem today while using "cp -pu" to backup
>my local NTFS files to a remote samba drive.  The cygnus tools (ls and
>cp anyway) are not consistently reading and preserving the file's
>modification time.  In some cases there is a discrepancy of a two
>seconds compared with what Win Explorer reports.

I have a similar experience moving files from a Sun to Cygwin, using tar.
On the Sun:
1-chablis$  find xxx -printf "%f %t\n"
xxx Thu Mar 25 19:32:57 1999

On Cygwin, after tar, ftp & untar from Sun to Cygwin
~:  find xxx -printf "%f %t\n"
xxx Thu Mar 25 19:32:56 1999

The problem doesn't seem to happen in the other direction.

Pierre

* NTFS file time
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Carl Osterwisch
From: Carl Osterwisch @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I encountered a strange problem today while using "cp -pu" to backup
my local NTFS files to a remote samba drive.  The cygnus tools (ls and
cp anyway) are not consistently reading and preserving the file's
modification time.  In some cases there is a discrepancy of a two
seconds compared with what Win Explorer reports.  This doesn't sound
like a big deal but it makes a difference when I only want to update
changed files and they are ALL apparently a second newer than their
backup copy, forcing all files to be re-copied.

If I copy the files using Win Explorer and then check properties, the
times are identical according to Explorer.  The cygnus ls -l --full-time
command disagrees.  Here's an example of what happens with cygnus
20.1:

~ $ls -l --full-time a.ps
-rw-r--r--   1 costerwi None        30613 Tue Mar 02 13:32:59 1999 a.ps
~ $cp -p a.ps //z
~ $ls -l --full-time //z/a.ps
-rw-r--r--   1 costerwi None        30613 Tue Mar 02 13:32:58 1999 //z/a.ps
~ $

Notice the remote file is one second older than it's original, forcing a
future "cp -pu" to copy the file again (and again miss the time)!

Is there any way I can resolve these differences?  Any help would be
appreciated.

-Carl

* Re: NTFS file time
@ 1999-03-25 17:00 ` Pierre A. Humblet