* Re: fetchmail and cygwin
       [not found] ` <2f5d38320901181523u41d5a070w77c44e31e9a7ac00@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-01-19 21:40   ` Jason Tishler
       [not found]     ` <2f5d38320901191231k37b4033ena9618dfd4cfd3a1e@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jason Tishler @ 2009-01-19 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary marbach; +Cc: Cygwin

Gary,

Please see the following:

    http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 03:23:19PM -0800, gary marbach wrote:
> Hi. I'm a newb at trying to use Cygwin and fetchmail.  I was checking
> out an article on Cygwin and it seemed like something that could help
> me get my email data out of gmail...so, I thought I'd give it a try
> with Fetchmail.  I'm sure I've messed up the setup somewhere, based on
> the result I'm getting back when I execute the Cygwin command to start
> up fetchmail.  I was hoping you could help me figure out what I've
> messed up on?
>
> The contents of my .FETCHMAILRC file are:
> poll imap.aol.com with proto POP3 and options no dns
> user paulinemarbach with password xxx is Owner here options ssl
>
> The result of my query is what I have stored in the attached JPG file
> (hope that presenting it that way is acceptable).

The preferred way is to cut and paste the text -- there was no need to
use an image to convey the pertinent information.

For the archives, the following was the error message:

    fetchmail: getaddrinfo("imap.aol.com","pop3s") error: nodename
    nor servname provided, or not known

> When you get a second, could you see if  I've done something obviously
> incorrect?  I also tried it against my gmail account and that also did
> not work (same failure).

Try adding the following to your services file [1]:

    pop3s             995/tcp                           #POP3 SSL

YMMV, the above worked for me, but unfortunately not for another Cygwin
user:

> Thanks so much.

You are quite welcome.

Jason

[1] The services file is located on my system in:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services

Note the location could be different on your system.

Jason

* Re: Fwd: fetchmail and cygwin
       [not found]       ` <2f5d38320901191252h656a37e5j3249bb200569859@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-01-21 13:57         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2009-01-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary marbach; +Cc: Cygwin

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52:04PM -0800, gary marbach wrote:
> Thanks Jason!  I just figured this same thing out about 90 min ago.
> Now I'm all about trying to create a "script" to go and get one
> message from my mailbox, turn that into either a file to upload to a
> website (where a script is continuously polling for it)   OR   turn
> that into an HTTP (or https) request and cause the script on a site to
> be invoked in that manner...   Does this stuff sound possible?

Yes.  If you set "mda" in your .fetchmailrc to point to your script (or
procmail), then you can fetch all of your mail messages -- not just one
at a time.

> Thanks again!

You are quite welcome.

Jason

* Re: fetchmail and cygwin
@ 2009-01-21 14:46           ` gary marbach
From: gary marbach @ 2009-01-21 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary marbach, Cygwin

Wow - haven't found an example of using mda to invoke a php script on
a website (and also to process all the emails at once would be good).
Can you point me to an example?  Thanks again!

--
Sent from my mobile device