* pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-22 10:06 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Does anyone know of a command/function which will give the translation
of the cygnus path name and vice versa?

I'm using vim and it would be nice to have the translated full path to
Win32 when trying to edit with vim the file that is in a cygwin.dll
translated path.

Thanks,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* RE: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23  1:29 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Earnie Boyd'

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Does anyone know of a command/function which will give the translation
> of the cygnus path name and vice versa?

Cygwin.dll exports the following functions:

cygwin32_conv_to_win32_path (const char *path, char *win32_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_full_win32_path (const char *path, char *win32_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_posix_path (const char *path, char *posix_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_full_posix_path (const char *path, char *posix_path)

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23  6:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-23  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete, gnu-win32

>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:57 +0100 (BST)
>From: pete@horus.cix.co.uk (Pete Jordan)
>Subject: Re: pathname conversion
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex) wrote:
>
>> There is a cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path function, that might just
do
>> what you are asking it to do.
>
>Aaargh! So I've ended up reinventing the wheel /again/ :)
>
>More details on this function? I don't have the GNU-Win32 sources
online
>ATM and can't find any reference in the include files.
>
>Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/
>
>"A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain."
>
>"There a few things that a committee can do well. There are very many
> more things that a committee will always do badly. And killing a boar
> is one of the things that no committee should ever try at all."
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Maybe you should have asked!  Oh, yeah, I forgot,  thats one of the
things committee members do badly!!

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* RE: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 19:58 Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1997-09-23 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com', John R. Dennis, gnu-win32

Remember CP/M? When the first IBM PCs came out, IBM wanted a CP/M
compatible O/S, and that's what Microsoft delivered. Aren't developers
generally supposed to deliver what the customer wants? You can argue the
pros and cons of the O/S and the decision to make a new O/S compatible with
CP/M, but delivering what was asked for doesn't make anyone an idiot.

Besides, it's my experience that the technically superior solution rarely
ends up being the most popular.

For what it's worth,

Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 13:10 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>In article < 199709241416.KAA00808@hardy.bbc.com >, cgf@bbc.com (Chris
>Faylor) ranted about dumb questions
>
>No argument with any of that, Chris (I spent eight years doing tech
>support - never again...)
>
>My problem is that I'm frequently guilty of False Impatience :)

You might have guessed that I've been doing tech support for quite some time,
too.

And, if "False Impatience" is what I think it is, then I'm probably guilty
of it, too.

cgf
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 13:52 Fabrice.Popineau
From: Fabrice.Popineau @ 1997-09-24 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ggp, jdennis; +Cc: gnu-win32

Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
code. Lots of Gnu utils are quite straight forward to compile under
win32 (I have done many of them), using the libc from VC++.
Unfortunately, some things from Unix do not have their counterpart
under Win32. In this case the option choosen by Cygnus was to emulate
the lack. Sometimes, conflicting is important: try to use 'patch' on
a filesystem that is not mounted as binary... Try to open text files
with notepad when they have been created by unix tools ...
Permissions are also odd. I think it would be nice too to cense all
the native ports of free software.

Fabrice POPINEAU
-

* RE: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 23:07 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fabrice.Popineau'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Fabrice.Popineau wrote:
> Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
> But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
> Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix

I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all... Gnu-win32 tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:

H:\>ls -l h:\site
total 1110
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var

H:\site>tar tvz --force-local -f H:\site\coolview.tar.gz
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 320512 Jul 05 00:00 1997 bash.exe
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 572950 Sep 23 12:50 1997 cygwin.dll
-rw-rw-rw- Administrators/Domain Admins 693370 Aug 19 14:38 1997 libcygwin.a
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins   3072 Jul 12 01:53 1997 ps.exe

H:\site>ls -l /site

@ 1997-09-25  4:58 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-25  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: popineau, sos; +Cc: gnu-win32

>From: Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru>
>To: "'Fabrice.Popineau'" <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr>
>Cc: "gnu-win32@cygnus.com" <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: RE: pathname conversion
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:06:33 +0400
>
>Fabrice.Popineau wrote:
>> Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
>> But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
>> Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
>
>I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all... Gnu-win32
tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:

>H:\>ls -l h:\site
>total 1110
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
>-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
>drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
>drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var
>
>H:\site>tar tvz --force-local -f H:\site\coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 320512 Jul 05 00:00 1997
bash.exe
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 572950 Sep 23 12:50 1997
cygwin.dll
>-rw-rw-rw- Administrators/Domain Admins 693370 Aug 19 14:38 1997
libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins   3072 Jul 12 01:53 1997 ps.exe
>
>H:\site>ls -l /site
>total 1110
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
>-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
>drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
>drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var
>
>--

That is if you in the MSDOS command mode.  Try your examples from bash.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

[parent not found: <01BCC9E9.FD11DAE0.rrankin@primenet.com>]
* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-26 11:57 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, pete

>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:55 +0100 (BST)
>From: pete@horus.cix.co.uk (Pete Jordan)
>Subject: Re: pathname conversion
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>banders@ECD.Rockwell.COM (banders) wrote:
>
>> Chris Faylor wrote:
>> > And, something like:
>> >
>> >         write /etc/passwd
>>
>> Doesn't seem to be a problem with the cygwin stuff since this was
>> written by some non gnuwin32 developer. So you could patch write to
use
>> the path conversion utilities (everybody patches executables, don't
>> they?).
>
><grin>
>
>Either that, or use debash...
>
>Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

Pete,

Where on your web page can I find debash...

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-30  6:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-30  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Thanks Pete, I've just got around to installing your debash utility, and
it works great.

I wanted to wait until the end of September to post this thank-you due
to the numerous posts that had nothing to due with the original
question.  Thank-you to the few of you who actually answered my
question.

As for those of you who just couldn't stand to let the post from xxx go
unanswered as I had planned to do, it would help if you would not post
your responses to gnu-win32.  Although some of what was said was
informative it had nothing to do with gnu-win32, porting of tools and
scripts, etc. which is the intent that the kind people at CYGNUS
SOLUTIONS have provided.  Rather it became a flame and name bashing
contest which wasn't necessary or appreciated.

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------