* Stupid (me I'm sure) g77 problem
@ 2000-09-21  8:56 Henry Smith
From: Henry Smith @ 2000-09-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Working with a newly installed (from setup,exe etc) version on W2K. Stock
run of setup over an old CD install, i.e. CYGWIN 1.0.

If I take a simple "Hello world" f77 source (or any other) I get the message

	src_short-516- $g77 hello.f
	Assembler messages:
	 for reading.open
	: No such file or directory
	src_short-517- $

Funny thing is the other day, I got this behavior and then suddenly g77
began to work for me and I got good executables for debugging. I never did
realize precisely what I had done to get it to work. Although one step was
to generate the Hello world proggy that now does not compile?

To find a problem in my program, I decided to cut out a piece of the
problematic code and test just that. After doing this, the above problem
recurred. BTW there was a reboot due to power failure but I don't think
this has much to do with it as I did not change any settings, I think.

What stupid thing have I done wrong? Wracked my brains (such as they are!
<G>) but have not found an answer. PWD is the directory where the files
are. g77 is on the path. g77 --verbose did not help much. -fsyntax-only
gives same result. Seems to be an installation problem and not a g77
problem so I am posting here. I can post cygcheck if it would be useful but
will wait rather than clutter up the list if it is not needed.

Any ideas where I should look to fix this? TIA

Regards

Henry

* Re: Stupid (me I'm sure) g77 problem
@ 2000-09-21 11:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Smith, cygwin

--- Henry Smith <hjpsmith@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 09:35 AM 9/21/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >--- Henry Smith <hjpsmith@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Any ideas where I should look to fix this? TIA
> >>

> >Paste the output of `cygcheck -s -r -v' in a mail to the list, not to me.
>
> OK Earnie here it is. NB McAfee virus is not running. It was setup ofr the
> WIN95 I used to run.

Well, this is only about half of the output that should be there.  One of the
problems you have though is that you have invalid PATH entries.  Before you do
anything else, work on cleaning your PATH so that you only have one entry of
each directory that needs to be searched by Cygwin.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Stupid (me I'm sure) g77 problem
@ 2000-09-21 10:18 ` Henry Smith
From: Henry Smith @ 2000-09-21 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 09:35 AM 9/21/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Henry Smith <hjpsmith@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas where I should look to fix this? TIA
>>

>Paste the output of `cygcheck -s -r -v' in a mail to the list, not to me.

OK Earnie here it is. NB McAfee virus is not running. It was setup ofr the
WIN95 I used to run.

Thanks

Henry

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Thu Sep 21 11:36:41 2000

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195

Path:	/usr/local/bin
	/usr/bin
	/usr/bin
	/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
	/cygdrive/c/WINNT
	/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem
	/cygdrive/e/PROGRA~1/FRONTI~1
	/usr/bin
	/contrib/bin
	/cygdrive/d/Develop/Tcl/bin
	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Support Tools/
	/cygdrive/d/DEVSTUDIO/SHAREDIDE/BIN/IDE
	/cygdrive/d/DEVSTUDIO/SHAREDIDE/BIN
	/cygdrive/d/DEVSTUDIO/VC/BIN
	/cygdrive/d/DEVELOP/ABSOFT/ABSOFT/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/d/APPS/4TEX/4TEX
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/e/PERL/BIN
	"C
	/WIN95
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/d/TEXMF/
	/cygdrive/d/localtexmf
	/cygdrive/d/DEVELOP/ABSOFT/ABSOFT/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MCAFEE/VIRUSS~1/SCANPM.EXE
	/cygdrive/c/APPS/FRONTI~1
	/cygdrive/c/dislin/win
	/cygdrive/d/texmf/miktex/bin
	"
	/cygdrive/e/ZIPS/FORTRAN/SALFOR~1
	/cygdrive/c/CYGWIN/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/CYGWIN/CONTRIB/BIN
	/cygdrive/e/PROGRA~1/PGP

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

HOME = `/cygdrive/d/apps/emacs/'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `//d/Projects/kick/new_crb/short/src_short'
USER = `henry smith'

!C: = `C:\Documents and Settings\Henry Smith\Desktop'
!E: = `E:\cygwin\bin'
ABSOFT = `d:\develop\absoft\ABSOFT'
ALLUSERSPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA = `C:\Documents and Settings\Henry Smith\Application Data'
BLASTER = `A220 I10 D0 H5 P300 E620 T6 '
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = `ARBORVITAE'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
DISLIN = `C:\DISLIN'
GS_LIB = `D:\texmf;C:\PSFONTS'
GS_PATH = `D:\texmf\GSWIN32C.EXE'
HELPFILES = `d:\develop\FTN\HELP\*.HLP'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOSTNAME = `ARBORVITAE'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
INCLUDE = `d:\develop\absoft\ABSOFT\CINCLUDE\;d:\develop\FTN\INCLUDE\'
INIT = `d:\develop\FTN\INIT\'
LIB = `d:\develop\absoft\ABSOFT\LIB;d:\develop\FTN\LIB\'
LOGONSERVER = `\\ARBORVITAE'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin'
MIDI = `SYNTH:1 MAP:E'
MSDEVDIR = `d:\DevStudio\SharedIDE'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OLDPWD = `/cygdrive/d/apps/emacs'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 5 Model 2 Stepping 12, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `5'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `020c'
PROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
PS1 = `\W-\!- $'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SOUND = `C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND'
SUPERTCP = `C:\WINNT\SUPERTCP.INI'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/HENRYS~1/LOCALS~1/Temp'
TERM = `cygwin'
TEXMFCNF = `D:/Projects/IDL_Book/TEXMF/WEB2C;D:/texmf/TEXMF/WEB2C'
USERDOMAIN = `ARBORVITAE'
USERNAME = `Henry Smith'
USERPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\Henry Smith'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'
TZ = `EST5EDT4,M4.1.0/2,M10.5.0/2'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS
Autodial\Addresses\sourceware.cygnus.com
  (default) = 0x00000024
  LastModified = 0x392e9a2b
  Network = `NETWORK0'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\1.00.000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `e:\cygwin'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `e:/cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `e:/cygwin/lib'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup

Dr. Henry J. P. Smith
TPE Associates
"Technology	     Physics           Environment"

* Re: Stupid (me I'm sure) g77 problem
@ 2000-09-21  9:35 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-21  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Smith, cygwin