* RE: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-01 18:30 Colin Peters
From: Colin Peters @ 1997-09-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sshteingold@cctrading.com'; +Cc: 'GNU-Win32'

sshteingold@cctrading.com wrote:
>     Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
[snip]
>     (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not enough).
>     Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF). Will RCS
>     work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything to
>     text - aka DOS - file format)

Both GNU RCS 5.6.4.4 and 5.7 are available from the Virtually UNIX site:

   http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/contributors.html

I'm currently using 5.6.4.4 and it seems to work fine just with USER set;
I don't need whoami or anything like that. I also seem to remember checking
in and out some small binary files and having no problems, but I do tend
to work fairly often in text mode, so I can't give a certain answer to your
second question.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science
-- colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp - finger for PGP public key
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-

* RE: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-05  1:20 ` J.R. Dean
From: J.R. Dean @ 1997-09-05  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 11:12 AM 9/1/97 +0900, Colin Peters wrote:
>sshteingold@cctrading.com wrote:
>>     Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
>[snip]
>>     (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not enough).
>>     Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF). Will RCS
>>     work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything to
>>     text - aka DOS - file format)
>
>Both GNU RCS 5.6.4.4 and 5.7 are available from the Virtually UNIX site:
>
>   http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/contributors.html
>
>I'm currently using 5.6.4.4 and it seems to work fine just with USER set;
>I don't need whoami or anything like that. I also seem to remember checking
>in and out some small binary files and having no problems, but I do tend
>to work fairly often in text mode, so I can't give a certain answer to your
>second question.

I can answer that question.  I use RCS 5.6.4.4 on Win95
for text files and various binary files, i.e., FrameMaker
FASL files.  No problems... other than the usual one with
binary files -- your archives get pretty large rather quickly.

-- Dean

P.S. I believe you need GNU diff for 5.6.4.4 to work properly.
I'm using diff 2.5.  (Incidentally, I'm using rcs and diff
that were not compiled using the Cygnus tools.)

* RE: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-07 10:59 J.R. Dean
From: J.R. Dean @ 1997-09-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-03  0:42 ` Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 1997-09-03  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sshteingold; +Cc: gnu-win32

>      I looked at this mailing list's archive and there were only 3 messages
>      about RCS - 2 about compiling it, and one requesting binaries. None
>      answered, so I repeat the question:
>      Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?

From http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.htm#rcs:

  Is there a version of RCS and CVS for Win32?

  RCS

  There are a number of RCS x86 executables floating about. There is an
  "official" port of GNU RCS available, but it has the semantics that
  files are managed in CR/LF format. This causes problems if your files
  are shared with programs on Unix hosts (for more info, see Kai
  Rommel's message). The version of RCS in the Reed Kotler toolset, on
  the other hand, does not change the line format. Your call.

  The "official" port of GNU RCS can be found in the following places:

     DOS, Win95/NT and OS/2 32-bit executables (including diff), as
     well as formatted documentation files:

            ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/leo/devtools/gnu/rcs57pc1.zip
            ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/leo/devtools/gnu/rcs57pc2.zip

     OS/2 16-bit executables, source code and unformatted documentation files:

            ftp://ftp.cs.purdue.edu/pub/RCS/rcs57pc1.zip
            ftp://ftp.cs.purdue.edu/pub/RCS/rcs57pc2.zip

  The Reed Kotler toolset can be found at http://www.reedkotler.com .

Hope this helps.

Sarir

--
Sarir "Riri" Khamsi                            Kwajalein, Marshall Islands
email: khamsi@kmrmail.kmr.ll.mit.edu                       w: 805-355-1534

-

* Re: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-01 18:30 ` Erwin Achermann
From: Erwin Achermann @ 1997-09-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sshteingold; +Cc: gnu-win32

sshteingold@cctrading.com wrote:

>      I looked at this mailing list's archive and there were only 3
> messages
>      about RCS - 2 about compiling it, and one requesting binaries.
> None
>      answered, so I repeat the question:
>      Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
>      I have the latest cygwin32 (rcs is not included), but neither who
> nor
>      whoami work:
>
>      C:\home\sds>who am i
>      who: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
>
>      C:\home\sds>whoami
>      whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
>
>      (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not
> enough).
>      Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF).
> Will RCS
>      work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything
>      text - aka DOS - file format)
>
>      If possible, please send me a mail copy of your kind reply.
>      Thanks.
>      Sam
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
I'm not quite sure wheter we talk of the same, but i understand rcs as
Revision Controll System, it is available from your favorite gnu-arcive.
and compiles on b18 wihtout any hassle (at least for me :)

Cheers Erwin

--
|Erwin Achermann                        phone:  +41-1-632 74 40      |
|Institute of Scientific Computing      fax:    +41-1-632 11 72      |

* Re: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-01 11:21 ` Jeff McCarrell
From: Jeff McCarrell @ 1997-09-01 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Geleff, sshteingold, gnu-win32

There is a complete working implementation of RCS as part of the
Reed Kotler toolset available for free download:

http://www.reedkotler.com/

-- jeff

At 04:43 PM 8/31/97 +0300, Henrik Geleff wrote:
> I think it is posible to compile RCS with the cygwin tools, I have tried
>but not succeeded -- I think I did not try hard enough.
>
>I know two sources of working binaries:
>
>            http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/
>
>and
>
>            http://www.mks.com/solution/si/
>

>Don't tell me that both are comercial, I know, but they work and US $49 for
>the Component Source solution is not alot !!!
>

>Regards with the hope that it helps you
>
>Henrik Geleff

-

* Re: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-08-31 13:43 Henrik Geleff

>     I looked at this mailing list's archive and there were only 3 messages
>     about RCS - 2 about compiling it, and one requesting binaries. None
>     answered, so I repeat the question:
>     Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
>     I have the latest cygwin32 (rcs is not included), but neither who nor
>     whoami work:
>
>     C:\home\sds>who am i
>     who: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
>
>     C:\home\sds>whoami
>     whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
>
>     (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not enough).
>     Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF). Will RCS
>     work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything to
>     text - aka DOS - file format)
>
>     If possible, please send me a mail copy of your kind reply.
>     Thanks.
>     Sam
>

>-

-