* Cygwin Beta 20.1 - porting code to Linux
@ 1999-03-06 10:37 R I Feigenblatt
From: R I Feigenblatt @ 1999-03-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Can anyone explain why the "monkey" script I wrote
for use under Cygwin Beta 20.1 does not work under
Linux (Redhat 5.0)? It must be something extremely
elementary! (Sorry if you think this off-topic!)

Ron Feigenblatt

Here is the console interaction on Linux (running as root):

	[root]# set -xv
	[root]# /root/bin/monkey
	/root/bin/monkey
	+ /root/bin/monkey
	bash: /root/bin/monkey: No such file or directory
	[root]# ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	+ ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         3070 Mar  6 12:49 /root/bin/monkey

You can find my code cited in the post of:

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` R I Feigenblatt
From: R I Feigenblatt @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Can anyone explain why the "monkey" script I wrote
for use under Cygwin Beta 20.1 does not work under
Linux (Redhat 5.0)? It must be something extremely
elementary! (Sorry if you think this off-topic!)

Ron Feigenblatt

Here is the console interaction on Linux (running as root):

	[root]# set -xv
	[root]# /root/bin/monkey
	/root/bin/monkey
	+ /root/bin/monkey
	bash: /root/bin/monkey: No such file or directory
	[root]# ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	+ ls -al /root/bin/monkey
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         3070 Mar  6 12:49 /root/bin/monkey

You can find my code cited in the post of:
>Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 19:38:27 -0500
>"monkey" is free GPL'ed software I have posted at:
>	http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Ridge/6664/

* Re: Cygwin Beta 20.1 - porting code to Linux
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` R I Feigenblatt
From: R I Feigenblatt @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: earnie_boyd

At 10:45 AM 3/6/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Does the script file contain \r\n line endings?
>It won't run on Linux if it does.

Many thanks Earnie. Stripping out the CR's with:
	tr -d '\015'
did the trick. The script now runs fine on Linux!

With the growth of Linux, I bet there will be a lot
of code moved between it and Cygwin both ways.

The Cygwin folks should make a note of this "gotcha".
Or did I forget to RTFM?

The Linux people should provide a less misleading
bash error message than "No such file or directory"!

Ron Feigenblatt

* Re: Cygwin Beta 20.1 - porting code to Linux
       [not found] ` < 19990306184535.11982.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R I Feigenblatt, gnu-win32

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R I Feigenblatt, gnu-win32; +Cc: earnie_boyd

---R I Feigenblatt <docdtv@earthlink.net> wrote:
8<

> With the growth of Linux, I bet there will be a lot
> of code moved between it and Cygwin both ways.

Probably.

> The Cygwin folks should make a note of this "gotcha".
> Or did I forget to RTFM?

Yep!

> The Linux people should provide a less misleading
> bash error message than "No such file or directory"!

well there is "No such file" as myfile\013 usually.

Maybe bash should be changed to display the od values of the file name.
==
-                        \\||//

* Re: Cygwin Beta 20.1 - porting code to Linux
@ 1999-03-06 14:39 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R I Feigenblatt, gnu-win32; +Cc: earnie_boyd

---R I Feigenblatt <docdtv@earthlink.net> wrote:
8<

> With the growth of Linux, I bet there will be a lot
> of code moved between it and Cygwin both ways.

Probably.

> The Cygwin folks should make a note of this "gotcha".
> Or did I forget to RTFM?

Yep!

@ 1999-03-06 12:43   ` R I Feigenblatt
From: R I Feigenblatt @ 1999-03-06 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)