* Security hole in gnu-win32-gcc
@ 1997-09-10 10:28 Daniel Kroening
From: Daniel Kroening @ 1997-09-10 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hello,

I discovered a security hole in cygnus gnu-win32 gcc: Obviously,
allocated ram is not initialised. The generated binaries thus contain
parts of the main memory of the machine compiling it. In binaries, where
uninitialied arrays are, I discovered parts of web pages and other data
of the memory. It might sound harmless, but confident documents or even
pgp secret keys might get disclosed.

Daniel Krvning
-

[parent not found: <009BA1E2.EA079D00.23009@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de>]
* RE: Security hole in gnu-win32-gcc
@ 1997-09-11 10:00 Boatwright, Charles
From: Boatwright, Charles @ 1997-09-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Kroening'; +Cc: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

Daniel,

Before this causes all sorts of excitement to the list (again).
You can't avoid it without much ado.  Even a reboot on some
PCs won't clear  all memory, so the OS must supply the implementation.

This is not a ( new ) security hole.  This will always happen on Win95.

NT is another story.

This security costs CPU cycles.  At times it costs alot.
Memory allocation (GlobalAlloc) is much
slower, especially  following a swap (I don't know the
exact reason why .... yet).  Also program loading is slower.

-chuck

-