* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03  8:45 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-12-03  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfife; +Cc: gnu-win32

>I don't see what the fuss is about with spam email and the like. Just set
>up the appropriate filters to put spam etc into a spam mailbox. Then,
>quickly scan the contents of this mailbox, read anything that looks
>interesting and delete the rest. That's what I do. The only problem I see
>with spam email is wasting Internet bandwidth.

This particular argument crops up every time someone mentions spam.
What "set up the appropriate filters" means is: Take a stab at filtering
the spam.  Then when something slips through, tinker with the filters
again.  Another one comes through?  No problem.  Just add another rule
to the filter.  Hmm.  How does that work again?  man procmailex.  Oh yeah.

Not getting any email?  Oops.  The filter was too general.  Someone
complains that they sent you mail and didn't respond?  Oh yeah.  I
haven't checked my spam mailbox in a while.

I don't care for this scenario.  YMMV.

>So, I filter this mailing list to a particular mailbox. I only read it when
>I want to.

I don't have the option of only reading email when I want to.  And, as you
mentioned, I don't particularly like any of my limited internet bandwidth
being eaten by junk email.
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03 17:53 ` Peter R Fife
From: Peter R Fife @ 1997-12-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: pfife, gnu-win32

At 11:31 AM 12/3/97 -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
>>I don't see what the fuss is about with spam email and the like. Just set
>>up the appropriate filters to put spam etc into a spam mailbox. Then,
>>quickly scan the contents of this mailbox, read anything that looks
>>interesting and delete the rest. That's what I do. The only problem I see
>>with spam email is wasting Internet bandwidth.
>
>This particular argument crops up every time someone mentions spam.
>What "set up the appropriate filters" means is: Take a stab at filtering
>the spam.  Then when something slips through, tinker with the filters
>again.  Another one comes through?  No problem.  Just add another rule
>to the filter.  Hmm.  How does that work again?  man procmailex.  Oh yeah.
>
>Not getting any email?  Oops.  The filter was too general.  Someone
>complains that they sent you mail and didn't respond?  Oh yeah.  I
>haven't checked my spam mailbox in a while.

Interesting; I have 3 mailboxes for my incoming mail - MUST Answer, Should
Answer & May Answer. To date, I have not received any spam sent direct To:
pfife@cisco.com; so, all my spam ends up in May Answer.

>I don't care for this scenario.  YMMV.
>
>>So, I filter this mailing list to a particular mailbox. I only read it when
>>I want to.
>
>I don't have the option of only reading email when I want to.  And, as you
>mentioned, I don't particularly like any of my limited internet bandwidth
>being eaten by junk email.

I read my email approx. 6 hours each day. When I read my May Answer
mailbox, I quickly scan it, read what I want and delete the rest. Maybe the
spammers don't mail me direct or something, but all my spam ends up in May
Answer. I rarely read any of it. So, it works for me so far, that's all I
can say.

Peter

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-08 23:07 hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert.V.Baron, gnu-win32; +Cc: Hilton Fernandes

On  3 Dec 97 at 11:04, Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> I think the traffic is more like 20 to 30 pieces a day.  For me, the
> issue of volume is less important than quality.  I'd like to see
> several groups (news or mail), for:
>    newbies
>    programming questions
> 	 interactions with microsoft DLL's, tools
>    technical discussions
> perhaps more.  This would allow us to sort and categorize the volume
> better.

Hi, all!

I'd like to give my vote for Robert's proposal.  I'm not very sure
about the mail categories, but the idea is excellent.

That way, the signal to noise in the mailing list would be much
higher.  For instance, people that read the newbie mailing list would
be sure they would find newbie questions: newbies would be free to
post newbie questions, anyone else would answer those questions only
if they really wanted to.  Cum bona fide, some would say.

That way, probably people would team up to create the long awaited
(more complete) FAQ.

I guess that subdivision interests Cygnus too, because there would be
more focused light on their product.

Regards,
++Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes
email: hgfernan@usp.br
       hilton@lsi
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at LSI (Laboratory of Integrated Systems)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04 18:54     ` Norm Peterson
From: Norm Peterson @ 1997-12-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnu-Win32 Mail List

Michael Anderson wrote:

> If this mailing list does get moved to a newsgroup, the mailing list
> should continue also. Many ISPs outside the USA don't offer newsgroups,
> but I suspect that all have email.

Certainly, no one's suggested doing away with the mail list.  Also, the
reason I mentioned just making an alt.* group is for speed, doing away
with the comp.* required voting, waiting, etc.  Scripts to do the proper
forwarding to/from the list/group wouldn't be that difficult to make
(there may even be some out there already).  Anyone who doesn't get (or
just doesn't like) reading/posting via the group would still get
everything via the mail list.
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04 10:55 ` Greg Martin
From: Greg Martin @ 1997-12-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert.V.Baron; +Cc: gnu-win32

As a newbie I must say I love Robert's suggestion! Greg Martin

Robert.V.Baron wrote:

> I think the traffic is more like 20 to 30 pieces a day.  For me, the
> issue of volume is less important than quality.  I'd like to see several
> groups (news or mail), for:
>         newbies
>         programming questions
>         interactions with microsoft DLL's, tools
>         technical discussions
> perhaps more.  This would allow us to sort and categorize the volume better.
> -

-

* RE: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04 10:29 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-12-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GBradfor, gnu-win32

At 08:49 AM 12/4/97 -0600, GBradfor wrote:

>On 12/3/97, Michael Anthon <anthonm@tams.com.au> at Internet wrote:
>
>>About 10 messages in one day is not very high volume.  I am behind a
>>firewall and accessing news groups is a problem for me.  I have no
>>objection to a dual system, but some thought might be put into removing
>>or distorting mail addresses since junk mailers that harvest news
>>groups are a real problem.
>
>10 a day!  I was gone a week and had well over 200 messages to clear out of my
>box from this list alone.  I was out yesterday, and this morning I had 75
>messages in my box!  Personally, I (and my mail admin) like the idea of a
>newsgroup.
>
>/s/
>Pat Bradford
>
>        Respond to:
>                gbradfor@redstone.army.mil
>                        AND/OR
>                p_n_brad@traveller.com

Whenever this subject comes up on this list (and believe me, it ain't the
first time!), I hesitate to contribute to the flow.  I think people should
have access to this list's information in the form that is best for them.
However, it seems everytime this comes up, there is allot of discussion on
this list about the hows and wheres and never the whos and whens.  If
people want a newsgroup, it seems to me it is more productive to figure
out the latter rather than the former first.  Since NOONE ever seems to
volunteer to take this ball and running with it, I'm left with the
impression that either noone is REALLY that interested or everybody simply
wants someone else to do it.  Let me make a suggestion.  If there is
someone out there that is really interested in getting this list into a
newsgroup, send 1 mail message to this list asking that other interested
parties to send email back to him or her.  Some or all of those parties can
formulate what they think is a reasonable plan off-line from this list and
then present it back to the list when they are done.  It will be painful to
have yet another round of these discussions on this list at that time but
at least there will be a cohesive (I should hope) proposal to discuss which
will address many of the concerns and provide a structure, mechanism, and
responsible body for moving this forward or letting it drop.  More random
discussions on this topic which bring up the same issues with no conclusion
every three months or so is not productive for anyone.  While I have noticed
at times that this list generates mail on the order of 50-75 messages
daily, this seems to happen most often when somewhat off-topic threads like
this one get proposed or another pertinent topic drifts off-center.
Normally I don't find the traffic that unwieldy myself.  But to each
his/her own.  However, as a non-rhetorical question, can we either address
this topic in a logical manner off-line from this list or let it die?  I'm
sure all of our mailboxes will appreciate the reduced traffic either way.

I've said my piece.  Any flames can be directed specifically to me.  No
need to clutter the list even more with responses from people who feel
I've stepped on their toes!

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181
-

* Re: Too much mail volume
@ 1997-12-04  7:28 ` Bartlee A. Anderson
From: Bartlee A. Anderson @ 1997-12-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

vischne@ibm.net wrote:

> Look, if you guys had any smarts, you would scrap the mail version of this

While I __don't__ agree with this slam at our collective cognitive
abilities, I somewhat like the ideas proposed.

Anyone else think there is some merit here?

Bart

> list entirely and go with the archive instead.
>
> That way, people interested in knowing what is going on in the discussion
> can tune in to the archive and not bother with their e-mail server.  You
> would also add a URL for posting followups to archive articles.
>
> -

Bartlee A. Anderson     System Test (Interfaces-Tools-Automation-ISDN)
Rockwell International                    Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct.                                banders@ecd.rockwell.com
MS 933-605      Opinions my own, not Rockwell's   VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191                               FAX   (630) 227-9771
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04  7:28       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-12-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 199712040152.UAA15020@bw.webex.net >,
Paul Garceau <pgarceau@submergedsoftware.com> wrote:

>> >No. This isn't a high traffic mailing list compared to a lot of other
>> >lists I am on.
>>
>> I vote emphatically against moving this to a newsgroup.  I don't think
>> that the traffic justifies it.  Also, we'll all be subject to much more
>> spam both from the newsgroup spammers and from the spammers who harvest
>> mail addresses from newsgroup headers.
>>
>> If cygwin or some well-connected site wanted to set up a private NNTP
>> server to host a private newsgroup, however, I think that would be a
>> great idea.
>
>	I can agree to this.  It means, of course, that whoever does set up the
>NNTP server will need to make doubly-certain that they can't be attacked
>by any email moles that are capable of rapeing an NNTP server by stripping
>out all of the email addresses stored therein.

God, I hate spam.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* RE: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04  7:19 GBradfor
From: GBradfor @ 1997-12-04  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

From: Michael Anthon <anthonm@tams.com.au>
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject: RE: Too Much Mail Volume
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:01:19 +1000
Sender: owner-gnu-win32@cygnus.com

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04  6:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-12-04  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>From: "Paul Garceau" <pgarceau@submergedsoftware.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:54:18 -0800
>Subject: Re: Too Much Mail Volume
>
>Greetings,
>
>On 30 Nov 97 at 12:45, the Illustrious Steven Bellenot wrote:
>

>> This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
>> served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
>
>	I tend to agree with this...in two days I've received nearly 100
emails
>from the list.

Most of my mail from this list for the past 3 or 4 days has been this
thread.  Please, put an end to it.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Too much mail volume
@ 1997-12-04  2:13 ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-12-04  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vischne; +Cc: gnu-win32

Bzzzt.  Web?  Just say no.  In fact if the list went there, I'd drop it.
Web is fine for initial research, but beyond that it's a waste of time.
Certainly, browser interfaces for reading and sending messages on the Web
are at least a decade behind what's available for mail and news on Unixen.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart-com

\f
+----------------

@ 1997-12-03 17:53 ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 1997-12-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Greetings,

On 30 Nov 97 at 12:45, the Illustrious Steven Bellenot wrote:

> This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
> served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.

	I tend to agree with this...in two days I've received nearly 100 emails
from the list.

> How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?

	My suggestion would be comp.programming.gnu-win32.

	Problem is that usenet groups are notorious when it comes to
spam/UCE and mailing lists are not when you consider the fact that in the
month or so that I've been subscribed I have only seen two UCEs come
through based on the mailing list itself.

	The biggest danger with a usenet group is the spam or UCE that such
usenet groups generate.  If the group were completely moderated that might
be different.  As we are all probably aware, however, there is not much
time for anyone who regularly subscribes to this mailing list to moderate
such a group.

	What about a mailing list specifically defined as a digest of the
gnu-win32 responses?

	This way, if someone didn't want to deal with the email, they would only
have to deal with a single (weekly) digest that came out.  If they desired
to reply to something from the digest, then their email would be cc: to
the list and any replies to their email would automatically generate a cc:
to the original author of the "thread" itself.

	The announcement side of the mailing list does something similar except
that, as far as I know, there are no replies whatsoever generated by the
mailing list to the originator of the announcement in question.

	Comments?  Feedback?

		Paul G.

Chronicles of Aurum: Book I
      A Journey Into the Fantastic
http://www.submergedsoftware.com/
ICQ#977283
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03 17:53   ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 1997-12-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On  1 Dec 97 at 8:28, the Illustrious Norm Peterson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Peter Yeh wrote:
>
> > I second the idea of moving this mailing list to a newsgroup.
> >

> > >This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
> > >served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
> > >
> > >How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?
>
> How about just dropping into one of the alt.* hierarchy?  From what I
> understand, you don't need to have any of the voting (or any particular
> reason) to start the group.  This could serve as a testbed before moving
> into the comp.* area.  If it fails, ah well back to the mail list. If
> not, great.

	alt.* groups, by their nature, are completely vulnerable to UCE/Spam.
Many of us barely have time to reply as we do the mailing list...to open
ourselves up to mindless spam or UCE seems to be the wrong answer, in my
humble opinion.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

From: Paul Garceau @ 1997-12-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-03 15:26 Robert.V.Baron
From: Robert.V.Baron @ 1997-12-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-03 15:26 vischne
From: vischne @ 1997-12-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-03  2:48     ` Kees van Veen
From: Kees van Veen @ 1997-12-03  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anderson; +Cc: gnu-win32

Michael Anderson wrote:

> If this mailing list does get moved to a newsgroup, the mailing list
> should continue also. Many ISPs outside the USA don't offer newsgroups,
> but I suspect that all have email.
> --

That goes for me, yes
Kees
-

* RE: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03  0:01 Michael Anthon
From: Michael Anthon @ 1997-12-03  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

About 10 messages in one day is not very high volume.  I am behind a
firewall and accessing news groups is a problem for me.  I have no
objection to a dual system, but some thought might be put into removing
or distorting mail addresses since junk mailers that harvest news groups
are a real problem.

On Wednesday, 3 December 1997 2:58, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)
[SMTP:lhall@rfk.com] wrote:

> >> No. This isn't a high traffic mailing list compared to a lot of
other
> >> lists I am on.
> >
> >How about having someone autopost, (using some kind of elm filter),
all
> >mail which originates on this mailing list.
> >
> >Likewise any posts on newsgroup that haven't been sent on the mailing

> >list could be forwarded.
> >
> >That way anyone could subscribe to the mailing list or read the
newsgroup
> >and not miss anything.
> >
> >All we need is a person to write these two scripts, who is also
responsible
> >enough to monitor them.

> >Martin Grant                    "Fight me!" :-) -Martin
> >www.ici.net/cust_pages/mgrant   "Just call me The Doctor."
> >seer@earthling.net              "Fizban!  Where?"
>
> This is a good idea.  May I suggest someone who is interested in
seeing this
> mail list in a newsgroup pick up on this idea?  I, for one, have no
problem
> with the concept of this "group" as a mail list but I think it would
be
> beneficial to those who like the newsgroup forum better to be able to
access
> it in this form too.  This idea seems to provide that nicely without
forcing
> a complete change of forum for those that are happy with the mail
list.

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
> 8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
> Wellesley, MA  02181
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-02 22:06     ` Peter R Fife
From: Peter R Fife @ 1997-12-02 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 03:38 PM 12/2/97 GMT, Chris Faylor wrote:
>In article < 6j3hsQAppfB@mike.franken.de >,
>Michael Hirmke <mh@mike.franken.de> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>>I second the idea of moving this mailing list to a newsgroup.
>>
>>No. This isn't a high traffic mailing list compared to a lot of other
>>lists I am on.
>
>I vote emphatically against moving this to a newsgroup.  I don't think that
>the traffic justifies it.  Also, we'll all be subject to much more spam
>both from the newsgroup spammers and from the spammers who harvest mail
>addresses from newsgroup headers.
>
>If cygwin or some well-connected site wanted to set up a private NNTP
>server to host a private newsgroup, however, I think that would be a
>great idea.
>

>--
> http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
>VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
>-

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-02  9:41     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc) @ 1997-12-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: seer; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-02  7:41   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-12-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-02  7:22   ` Michael Anderson
From: Michael Anderson @ 1997-12-02  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

If this mailing list does get moved to a newsgroup, the mailing list
should continue also. Many ISPs outside the USA don't offer newsgroups,
but I suspect that all have email.
--

Mike Anderson
mka@redes.int.com.mx

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-02  5:57   ` Martin Carl Grant
From: Martin Carl Grant @ 1997-12-02  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-01 22:51 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-12-01 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

>I second the idea of moving this mailing list to a newsgroup.

No. This isn't a high traffic mailing list compared to a lot of other
lists I am on.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-01 20:18   ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-12-01 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gnu-win32

I don't like the alt.* idea.  I don't get (and don't want) any of the
alt.* groups, so putting it there puts it out of my reach.  IMHO, the only
stuff that belongs in alt.* is that which no one wants anyway.  If this
list falls into that category, then it should not be moved to a newsgroup.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart-com

\f

| > >This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
| > >served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
|
| How about just dropping into one of the alt.* hierarchy?  From what I
| understand, you don't need to have any of the voting (or any particular
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-01  9:09 ` Norm Peterson
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Norm Peterson @ 1997-12-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-11-30 18:35 Adam Heath
From: Adam Heath @ 1997-11-30 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

From: Peter Yeh @ 1997-11-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I second the idea of moving this mailing list to a newsgroup.

>This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
>served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
>
>How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?
>-

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-11-30 15:33 ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-11-30 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bellenot; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hell yes.  What we need is someone to brush up on newsgroup creation
procedure and put a call-for-vote into the appropriate groups as well as
this list.  If I recall correctly, the process takes about a month.

BTW, comp.unix is not appropriate (gnu-win32 doesn't have anything to do
with Unix).  Probably should be somewhere in comp.os.ms-windows.*,
comp.emulators.*, or gnu.*..  Personally, I'd like it best in something
like gnu.cygnus.win32.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart.com

\f