* (newbie) please be kind...
@ 1997-12-08 19:54 shorti
From: shorti @ 1997-12-08 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

hello all:

ok - here's the deal: i have very limited experience with c, although i'm
figuring out the text-driven stuff fairly well. i would like to write
windows programs using my new found resources, but i know next to nothing
about API, integrating dll's, etc.  does anyone know of any good
tutorials/references on win32 (or c in general) on the web?  maybe if you
have nothing better to do over christmas holiday, you could write one?  or
is it just easier for me to go out and buy a book?  If you have a list of
links related to (c, win32) programming, it would be greatly appreciated..
i'll compile it to a webpage somewhere...

Also - could someone point me to the things that make bash useful?  i'm not
sure totally what to do..

right now i'm questioning the wisdom of the person that said "ignorance is
bliss"...

thanx for your time and patience,
- josh
-

* Re: (newbie) please be kind...
@ 1997-12-12 20:26 ` hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shorti, gnu-win32; +Cc: hgfernan

On  8 Dec 97 at 21:52,  shorti <shorti@apci.net> wrote:

> hello all:
>
> ok - here's the deal: i have very limited experience with c, although i'm
> figuring out the text-driven stuff fairly well. i would like to write
> windows programs using my new found resources, but i know next to nothing
> about API, integrating dll's, etc.  does anyone know of any good
> tutorials/references on win32 (or c in general) on the web?  maybe if you
> have nothing better to do over christmas holiday, you could write one?  or
> is it just easier for me to go out and buy a book?  If you have a list of
> links related to (c, win32) programming, it would be greatly appreciated..
> i'll compile it to a webpage somewhere...

Hi!

Concerning C, you got to read the founding fathers: Kernighan &
Ritchie's The C Programming Language.  Other interesting book, if a
little out of date is Holub's The C Companion, that explains
intuitively and in detail things about pointers et al. that we only
learn after 10 years of C programming. :-)

Concerning the Win32 API, DLLs etc., there's another book almost as
good as K & R: it is Programming Windows 95, by Charles Petzold with
Paul Yao.  It was a classic for the first Windows (2.X & 3.X).  Now
it shows its age, but it is probably the best introduction to the
subject available.

Concerning Web sites, please take a look at the page Hello Windows!,
at
	http://www.relisoft.com/win32/winnie.html
by Reliable Software.  The page
	http://www.relisoft.com/index.htm
gives access to other interesting things at their site.

Good links can be found at Webopaedia
	http://www.pcwebopedia.com/

and whatis.com
	http://www.whatis.com/

Regards,
++Hilton

Hilton Fernandes
email: hgfernan@usp.br
       hilton@lsi
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at LSI (Laboratory of Integrated Systems)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-