* Re: looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-22  5:17 Jon S. Jaques
From: Jon S. Jaques @ 1997-12-22  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, gnu-win32

Have you recently tried this from a "ground up" install? I still have not
gotten it to work, and so I still wonder about what else is required.

--jsj

At 04:38 AM 12/20/97 GMT, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>If you're using my patches and Sergey's coolview, there should be no
>reason to #ifdef or #define anything.
>
>The main problems that people seem to be having are:
>
>1) They extract the perl files, read the README.cygwin, install my patch,
>   and do the operations in the README.  Unfortunately, my patch changes
>   the README, so they're following old instructions.
>
>2) They do not extract the perl files to a 'binary' mounted directory and
>   the patch does not proceed correctly.  Or, B18 patch screws up so
>   they need to grab and build a new version of patch.
>
>3) Most important:  Many people do not have all of the environment variables
>   set up correctly to compile and link C programs.
>
>I have had a number of success stories so I am pretty sure that my patch
>is correct.  I think it is just a matter of making sure that the above
>details have been covered.
>
>In article < 19971219125959.13260.qmail@hotmail.com >,
>Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I compiled the Perl package without much ado.  When the compiler
>>complained I either #ifdef'ed or #define'd the problems.  Be sure to
>>look at the configure --help and make a determination about switches.  I
>>did not compile the utilites just perl.
>>
>>>From: "Jon S. Jaques" <sysadmin@almus.com>
>>
>>>Personally, I can compile a simple file,
>>>program1.cpp ("hello world") with *g++* but NOT
>>>gcc (a friend suggested that the file was a
>>>"plus-plus" and that gcc is not, but I don't
>>>really know much about either... my primary reason
>>>for this thing is just to get the new Perl
>>>compiled on my system to open up some options in
>>>my Perl programming... one language at a time, ple
>>>ase! <grin>)
>>>
>>>Please, if you have no luck, then lets' continue
>>>this dialogue-- I'd really like to get this
>>>resolved.
>--
> http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
>VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
>-

-- Jon S. Jaques     --    The Grove Hill Pages --
--                   Now on the PerlRing!                     --
--      http://www.grovehillsys.com/scripting      --
--              jjaques@grovehillsys.com                 --
--  Linux: Salvation from Bill, Steve and Marc!  --
-

* Re: looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-23 12:55     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1997-12-23 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 349F9413.B3635699@inf.ethz.ch >,
Erwin Achermann  <erwin.achermann@switzerland.org> wrote:
>I run
>$ sh Configure
>
>I get tons of
>: command not found
>: command not found
>: command not found

This is a sign that you have a file with ^Ms in it.  If you send the
output to a file and look at it with the appropriate utility, you should
see the ^Ms.

Instead of using emacs, try using something like 'od -c'.  If you see
'\r's then that is a problem.
--

@ 1997-12-23  9:32 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1997-12-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DHammond, gnu-win32, jjaques

>This was my second attempt, having made the mistake
>mentioned by Chris Faylor of reading the README.cygwin
>before applying the patch.  The only significant change
>I made during Configure was to add the cc flag:
>-DDEBUGGING.  I don't know if that was a good choice or
>not, but it appeared to me that this was necessary for
>full functionality of the Perl debugger.

This is not necessary for the debugger.  It has nothing to do with the
debugger.  -DDEBUGGING is for debugging the perl program itself.

>I kept fairly comprehensive notes of the whole Configure
>process after the first attempt failed.  I would be
>happy to forward the notes on to you if you think it will
>help, although all they will show is that I accepted most
>of the default choices, except for things like host and
>domain name.  I also have the redirected std out and std
>err from running make and the Perl TEST, if anybody wants
>to see those for any reason.
>
>The only non-standard thing I did was edit the config.sh
>(in a separate bash window) before running make depend.
>This was to correct a mistake I had made on man page
>location.  (I had a problem using vi in a shell escape
>from Configure due to another problem.)

It *is* annoying when you've gone most of the way through the Configure
process and enter a typo.

>The moral of the story: if I can do it, most anyone can.

Thanks for verifying that it can be done.

cgf
-

From: Christopher Faylor @ 1997-12-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwin.achermann; +Cc: gnu-win32

There are two configure's in the perl release.  One begins with a 'c' and
one begins with a 'C'.  Make sure that you only extract the one that begins
with a 'C'.

cgf
-

* RE: looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-23  7:03 Don Hammond
From: Don Hammond @ 1997-12-23  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jon S. Jaques', cgf, gnu-win32

Jon -

I managed to do this yesterday using GNU sources and
Christopher Faylor's patch.  I am a user, *not* a
developer, so am out of my element when packages don't
build easily.  I'm not sure how well I did -- the only
thing I've tried so far is the Perl TEST which comes
with the distribution, and it only succeeded on 79% of
the tests.  I haven't had time to try anything else.

[...]

[BTW - Thanks to all who have contributed to cygwin32.
It is a Godsend to this user forced to NT.  And thanks
to Christopher Faylor for the Perl patch, and others
making their work available.  I sure wish I could
contribute, but I'm barely smart enough to use this
stuff.  Your talents are admired and appreciated.]

 - Don

On  Monday, December 22, 1997 8:19 AM,  Jon S. Jaques writes:

> Have you recently tried this from a "ground up" install? I still
> have not gotten it to work, and so I still wonder about what else
> is required.
>
> --jsj
>
> At 04:38 AM 12/20/97 GMT, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >If you're using my patches and Sergey's coolview, there should be no
> >reason to #ifdef or #define anything.
> >
> >The main problems that people seem to be having are:
> >
> > [...]

-

* Re: looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-23  2:36   ` Erwin Achermann
From: Erwin Achermann @ 1997-12-23  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi
maybe we elaborate a HowTo altogether....

I have Sergeys patches:
bash.exe 04.07.97     	in:C:\bin
                           C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin

C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin
sh.exe == bash.exe	in:C:\bin
                           C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin
cygwin.dll 03.11.97	in:C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin
			   C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\lib
libcygwin.a 03.11.97
in:C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\lib

I extract the perl5.004.04 into the directory c:\perl

I make sure, that /perl is mounted binary, i.e
$ mount -b c:\\perl /perl

Now I extract Chris's patch and save it. (mighty emacs makes sure,
there are no ^M [but that's no problem anyhow, cause we're
on a binary mounted disk area] {to be clear: I save it in emacs'
text-mode})
I save it at /perl/src/perl5.004_04-mpe/cygerlpat5.004_04

The patch says i should do a (it removes a file apparently not
needed...)
$ sh cygperlpat5.004_04

Next we do as in the header of tha patch said:
$ patch -p1 -N < cygperlpat5.004_04

this produces a lot of output. Saying amongst other:  Hunk #1 succeeded
at .. etc
(Just to test: in util.c there is now an #ifdef __CYGWIN32__ at line
1337, it is the last patch applied by the patch command, so let's hope
all the others went well too)

Now I load the 'new' README.cygwin32 and proceed as it says.

I run
$ sh Configure

I get tons of
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found

Second try: I browse trough Configure and save it this time in emacs'
binary-mode (it tells me "no changes need to be saved"... hmmm)

I run
$ sh Configure
Again I get tons of
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found

Third try: I change a comment line in Configure change it back, (hehe,
now emacs saves it)
I run
$ sh Configure
sh Configure -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds
-e

I dont't have to mount this directory as binary as well, do I?? (did
that, no change)
I don't have to set environmetn Vars like CC?? (done that:
/perl/src/perl5.004_04-mpe 29>sh Configure
sh Configure -ds -e -Dcc='gcc'
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -Dcc='gcc' -Dcc='gcc'
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -Dcc='gcc' -Dcc='gcc' -Dcc='gcc'
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -Dcc='gcc' -Dcc='gcc'
-Dcc='gcc' -Dcc='
gcc'

Please help, what's wrong here???

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If you're using my patches and Sergey's coolview, there should be no
> reason to #ifdef or #define anything.
>
> The main problems that people seem to be having are:
>
> 1) They extract the perl files, read the README.cygwin, install my patch,
>    and do the operations in the README.  Unfortunately, my patch changes
>    the README, so they're following old instructions.
>
> 2) They do not extract the perl files to a 'binary' mounted directory and
>    the patch does not proceed correctly.  Or, B18 patch screws up so
>    they need to grab and build a new version of patch.
>
> 3) Most important:  Many people do not have all of the environment variables
>    set up correctly to compile and link C programs.
>
> I have had a number of success stories so I am pretty sure that my patch
> is correct.  I think it is just a matter of making sure that the above
> details have been covered.
>
> In article < 19971219125959.13260.qmail@hotmail.com >,
> Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I compiled the Perl package without much ado.  When the compiler
> >complained I either #ifdef'ed or #define'd the problems.  Be sure to
> >look at the configure --help and make a determination about switches.  I
> >did not compile the utilites just perl.
> >
> >>From: "Jon S. Jaques" <sysadmin@almus.com>
> >
> >>Personally, I can compile a simple file,
> >>program1.cpp ("hello world") with *g++* but NOT
> >>gcc (a friend suggested that the file was a
> >>"plus-plus" and that gcc is not, but I don't
> >>really know much about either... my primary reason
> >>for this thing is just to get the new Perl
> >>compiled on my system to open up some options in
> >>my Perl programming... one language at a time, ple
> >>ase! <grin>)
> >>
> >>Please, if you have no luck, then lets' continue
> >>this dialogue-- I'd really like to get this
> >>resolved.
> --
> http://www.bbc.com/     cgf@bbc.com                     "Strange how unreal
> VMS=>UNIX Solutions     Boston Business Computing        the real can be."
> -

Erwin Achermann                               Tel:      ++41 1 632 74 40
Institut fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen      Fax:      ++41 1 632 11 72
ETH Zentrum, IFW C29.2                      email: achermann@inf.ethz.ch
CH-8092 Zuerich	          url: http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/acherman/
>  Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, <
>  but when there is no longer anything to take away.                  <
>                                          -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery <
-

* Re: looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-19 20:38 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1997-12-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

--

@ 1997-12-19  5:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-12-19  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sysadmin, lizt; +Cc: gnu-win32

I compiled the Perl package without much ado.  When the compiler
complained I either #ifdef'ed or #define'd the problems.  Be sure to
look at the configure --help and make a determination about switches.  I
did not compile the utilites just perl.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

@ 1997-12-18 12:10 Jon S. Jaques
From: Jon S. Jaques @ 1997-12-18 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. Elizabeth Trojan; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-17 21:04 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1997-12-17 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. Elizabeth Trojan; +Cc: gnu-win32

"B. Elizabeth Trojan" <lizt@synopsys.com> writes:
> Is there a version of Perl available for win32 that is Cygnus
> compatible? By Cygnus compatible I mean accepts UNC paths and
> knows about cygnus mounts.
> --

Check out Chris Faylor's port at http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf/ .
A good place to check first is the "Ported Software" link on
Cygnus' Gnu-Win32 home page ( http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/ ).

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-

* looking for cygnus compatible perl
@ 1997-12-17 15:04 B. Elizabeth Trojan
From: B. Elizabeth Trojan @ 1997-12-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Is there a version of Perl available for win32 that is Cygnus
compatible? By Cygnus compatible I mean accepts UNC paths and
knows about cygnus mounts.
--
Liz Trojan
Synopsys                               (503)531-2297 Office