* sed 3.01 is many times faster than 2.05 under B19.1/Win95
@ 1998-07-24 12:58 Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 1998-07-24 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hello!

I have noticed that configure scripts work very slowly under Windows 95
with Cygnus-B19.1 compared with Linux on the same machine (Pentium-100,
16 Mb RAM, HDD Seagate 1.2G). Now sed-3.01 is out
( ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/ ). It compiles without warnings for Cygwin and
works several times faster!
It has also a feature specially useful for Windows, namely
non-case-sensitive search. I think, the next Cygwin release should
include the latest sed.

Pavel Roskin
ECsoft
London, UK
-

* Re: Future of cygnus
@ 1998-07-28  5:54 ` Darren Evans
From: Darren Evans @ 1998-07-28  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>I have noticed that configure scripts work very slowly under Windows 95
>with Cygnus-B19.1 compared with Linux on the same machine (Pentium-100,
>16 Mb RAM, HDD Seagate 1.2G). Now sed-3.01 is out
>( ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/ ). It compiles without warnings for Cygwin and
>works several times faster!
>It has also a feature specially useful for Windows, namely
>non-case-sensitive search. I think, the next Cygwin release should
>include the latest sed.

Im curious what features will be in the next version of Cygnus and when
it's due? I seem to recall someone saying, when x returns from Holiday,
but that was a while ago ..

Heres my wishlist:
Complete with egcs
Upto date tools :)
Paths stored in registry for cygnus and egcs
and so on ..

thanks

* Re: Future of Cygwin32
@ 1998-07-29  5:58   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-07-29  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Evans, gnu-win32

> Im curious what features will be in the next version of Cygnus and when
> it's due? I seem to recall someone saying, when x returns from Holiday,
> but that was a while ago ..
>
> Heres my wishlist:
> Complete with egcs
> Upto date tools :)
> Paths stored in registry for cygnus and egcs
> and so on ..

I don't have a firm feature list yet or a date.  That said, we are
aiming to make a new release as soon as it makes sense.  We're in the
middle of Cygwin32 performance optimizations right now so we are
waiting until Cygwin32 is well-tested again and ready for another
release.  Windows 98 support will be present.  Hopefully, EGCS 1.1
will be included as the compiler.  I will let everyone know when we
know more.

I am looking into upgrading sed to 3.01 but I don't expect that it
will make that big of a difference in configure times.  (Hopefully
I'm wrong).  Linux has the advantage that I/O appears to be much
faster on ext2 partitions.  If you compare Linux running on a fat
filesystem to NT on the same, a lot of the performance difference goes
away...

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: Future of Cygwin32
@ 1998-07-31  3:03     ` Darren Evans
From: Darren Evans @ 1998-07-31  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer, gnu-win32

At 12:13 AM 7/29/98 +0000, Geoffrey Noer wrote:
>> Im curious what features will be in the next version of Cygnus and when
>> it's due? I seem to recall someone saying, when x returns from Holiday,
>> but that was a while ago ..
>>
>> Heres my wishlist:
>> Complete with egcs
>> Upto date tools :)
>> Paths stored in registry for cygnus and egcs
>> and so on ..
>
>I don't have a firm feature list yet or a date.  That said, we are
>aiming to make a new release as soon as it makes sense.  We're in the
>middle of Cygwin32 performance optimizations right now so we are
>waiting until Cygwin32 is well-tested again and ready for another
>release.  Windows 98 support will be present.  Hopefully, EGCS 1.1
>will be included as the compiler.  I will let everyone know when we
>know more.

>I am looking into upgrading sed to 3.01 but I don't expect that it
>will make that big of a difference in configure times.  (Hopefully
>I'm wrong).  Linux has the advantage that I/O appears to be much
>faster on ext2 partitions.  If you compare Linux running on a fat
>filesystem to NT on the same, a lot of the performance difference goes
>away...

Great, can't wait.

Also, how about ...

More X libraries (native X support)
Better documentation.

Not that i've used ming, but how about including that too, so we have all
of these packages in 1 big bundle? And also a bigger cygnus tools package?

Out of curisoity too, (yes im always curious) do you guys work on it full
time?
And how many hands are there?